Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hey Whiz How Were The Baby's

Options
Trout Bum
Trout Bum Posts: 343
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just wondered how the baby backs turned out.
My Spatchcocked Chicken was good but not done enough. I did it at 350 for 20 & 25 mins and 160-165 in the breast. Next time I'll cook it till 175-180 in the breast.
It has real potential, just needs to be done a little more.
B D

Comments

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Big Daddy, i did both spatch-cocked chicken and babybacks tonight. I did two chickens on my large and wound up cooking then for an hour total rather than the 45 minutes. I went for 180 and wound up taking them off at 178. they sure are tender. I'll find out how good tomorrow night when we eat them. The baby backs cooked at 250-275 for about 3 1/2 hours. During the last hour, I put some corn on 'in the husk' and all of it was delicious. I used ken Stone's "Gilded Splinters" on both the babybacks and the chickens. It was good on the ribs, hopefully the chicken is just as good.

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    rib1.jpg
    <p />Big Daddy,
    Boy, they sure did taste a lot like mustard. JUST KIDDING!! This photo is the before photo. The link below is the after photo. If anyone doesn't believe the mustard disappears, here's the proof.[p]The ribs were the best I've had so far. This method is what I'll use until someone shows me something better! For a sauce, I used Kraft Honey barbecue sauce, but I added a ton of honey and a little water to thin it. [p]The ribs were the tenderest I've cooked. Thanks for the suggestions![p]TNW

[ul][li]Ribs After Cooking[/ul]
    The Naked Whiz
  • HolySmokes
    HolySmokes Posts: 446
    Options
    Big Daddy,
    Like Wise One, I usually cook my spatchcock chicken thirty and twenty five or so, closer to his hour than the forty five total minutes others use. I tried the more recommended times on my maiden cook, but felt it needed more and since then they've been picture perfect and delicious, still moist and tender.

• Trout Bum
    Options
    Wise One,
    Boy, I just can't wait until I can get some fresh corn on the husk here.
    It's one of my favorities on the egg.
    B D

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Big Daddy, the wife even complimented me on the corn. Since I already had the babybacks on, I just pulled the husks down, removed all the cornsilk, pulled the husks back up and soaked them for about 20 minutes in cold water. Then I pulled the husks back just enough to butter them and put them on the BGE for about 45 minutes (at 275). It was good. Recommend it highly.

• Trout Bum
    Options
    Wise One,
    That's pretty much the same way I do them. Yummy, Yummy.
    B D

• The Naked Whiz,
    Hi I was just wondering is this the large BGE or the Medium????