Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Teltrue replacement thermometer

Options
Rusty Rooster
Rusty Rooster Posts: 1,239
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
BGE oem has a 3" probe length. Teltrue offers 2 1/2" & 5". Seems most prefer the 5" but I cannot remember for sure or the reasons. Advice please.
Thanks,
Tom

Comments

• BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Options
    I cannot comment about what people use, but the TelTrue info I have seen shows them as 2.5" or 4".
  • Mike in MN
    Options
    Either one would be fine. Mine has a large face, way easier to read.

You must drill the hole in the dome to use a TelTrue as they are a bit larger diameter than the original. I believe you need a 1/4" masonary bit. Don't worry, the dome drills like butter. EZ.

Mike in MN
  • Rusty Rooster
    Options
    I never got a real answer to this last night so if everyone does not mind I will bump it up to this morning. Thanks again for any help.
    Tom
  • Rusty Rooster
    Options
    I posted this question twice and no answers. Guess I can tell my status on this forum!! BYE YALL
  • DynaGreaseball
    Options
    I have a TelTru which I bought a couple months ago, and it's great...very accurate. On the advice from others, I chose the 5 inch stem which is supposed to be more accurate, but either will work. I did NOT have to drill into my dome for it to work. It fits the pre-drilled hole just fine. I own a medium BGE. Only trouble is how far down into the Egg the stem extends. Here's how I solved that:

DSCN3137.jpg

Hope that helps.
  • BamaBackdraft
    Options
    TNW has a section on the Teltrue thermometers. Per his recomendation I purchased the 5" stem for my Lg. Hope you get this, looks like you are not getting all the replys to your messages to come up on your screen.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,761
    Options
    the 2.5 is the one i use, i like the shorter stem. the problem with it is that you need to add about 10 percent to the temp reading, the shorter stem gives a false reading as the temperature part does not fully extend thru the ceramic. adding 10-15 percent is close enough though and having the shorter probe lenght avoids breaking it when the egg is full of butts or a big dutch oven etc. with an inderect setup it actually gives you a more accurate reading of whats happening at the grill level, you dont need to compensate for grill level verse dome level. the naked whiz has a writeup on this gage verse the 5 inch one
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    curious why you would shorten the stem that much? The Tel-Tru is 5" vs the 4" of a BGE thermometer. A mere wooden toy wheel like this takes care of 1/2" and to me the extra 1/2" is nothing to worry about. I've been using 3 Tel-Tru for years and haven't bent one yet.
    IMG_0114.jpg
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • DynaGreaseball
    Options
    I should probably take your advice, just like I did when I purchased the 5 inch Tel-Tru. But...

I ruined the original BGE thermometer by not remembering to not close the dome on it when I had a full egg. So, I wanted to get the new one as short as I could and still obtain accurate readings. What you see is what it took. Just an extra measure of protection from Old-Timers Disease. Thanks for the advice, both times.
  • WileECoyote
    Options
    Good tip. I have seen a lot of posts about people refering to temps as high as 1000 but I have been wondering how they measured it. The BGE thermometer cuts off at 750 and most digital units won't even go as high as the BGE dial. I think I will get a Tel-Tru unit soon unless someone knows of a better unit. And for those that want to get one, just click here to buy the Tel-Tru 5" thermometer on their site for $19.00