Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Launching grenade

Options
Edemitch
Edemitch Posts: 196
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I figure this will start a nice, lively, little discussion.
The taxes are done and I should have my refund in another week or so. So now for the big question. BBQ Guru (and which one) or Stoker? I will say that I am definitely a techie. I like the idea of 3 food probes and a pit probe in one device. I also like the internet monitoring and graphing the Stoker does. On the other hand, I have heard nothing but great things from this forum about the DigiQ. So, Which way to go?????????? :whistle:

Comments

• Scubadog
    Scubadog Posts: 100
    Options
    I'd go with whichever one will do your taxes for you next year. That way you can spend more quality time with your egg.
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Options
    This comes up about every week or two Edemitch..if you search the forums you will also find some earlier discussions on the two...I havent purchased either myself..I still like playin w/the fire ;) ..but I too like the connectivity feature of the stoker and would lean that way if deciding today..I suspect before summer is over I'll make that decision. Maybe by then the DigiQ will have connectivity and the decision will be easier!?!... :whistle:
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    I wood love to hear too!
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    If you are really a techie... well you have your answer.

I do like the Guru q2 extremely simple and quick.

One thing, I am having one hell of a time getting new probes for my stokeer. They didn't have any extra when I originally ordered, several weeks later placed an order, nothing heard back. Now starting on the next week I will have to call tomorrow to get an update.

Grumpy Grandpa
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    The questions you are asking above are the same ones that I had. I wanted information beyond the tech info.

Hopefully the following will answer some of other questions, however, the following is long.

Here is a little more info...

I got my q2 just as they were first shipping. When it arrived it was a simple and quick set up to use. Very intuitive and easy. A lot of use now I often use the q2 just to control the temp (no meat probe) I very seldom use the ramp feature and at times wondered if it has affected my cook. (something I need to use & test more).

I went to the wizard for the tech info and also called and talked to both Fred’s. The main reason I went to the q2 was the high temp rated probes. The rest didn’t really mean all that much to me. Talking with the Fred’s the q2 could also control cheese smoking and cold jerky. That was a plus the q2 was a little higher temp rated.

There was some interesting things about the Stoker on some other forum, if interested take the time to search those out (google) and the Webber forum.

Got the q2, buyer’s remorse? No, still wanting, Yes. I loved the q2 from use #1. However, even after I got and used the q2 I still wanted connectivity and what if I ever got a 2nd egg. I highly recommend the q2… but till wanting connectivity.

So a month or so ago I got my second egg and of course I had to have another power vent solution.

I was thinking of getting another q2 but I knew for me I would never get this out of my system so I got the Stoker.

I have only used the Stoker a couple of times.

I read through the manual and began my first use of the stoker. The temp kept running up on me (explain more later). I worked the menu with no resolve. It was 17° outside and enough was enough. I pulled the Stoker and put the q2 to work.

I did no connection from stoker to computer as I wanted to understand the stoker before moving on. I couldn’t seem to find the way get the stoker pit probe to control the fan from the stoker box menu – and I still do not know the correct steps. I just need to take the time to do some more reading as I must have missed something.

Pit temp still not being controlled I decided to hook up to the computer just to see if I could. This all was pretty simple. The computer screen shows more information than the led on the stoker box. After playing around on the screen I stumbled into getting the pit probe controlling the fan. As of yet I haven’t looked anymore into doing the connecting at the Stoker on box menu.

Now that things seem to be working there is not much difference between the two.
    q2
    higher temp probes, smaller in physical size, q2 display is very bright and have not had any issues day or night. q2 is easier/quicker to get going (I am sure this won’t be a big difference once I get used to the stoker).

As for q2 being more water proof, not so much, if there is or is going to be rain/moisture in your cooking time one better get both protected. Use a zip lock or build a Tupperware protection box.

Stoker, using the lcd display if a problem to see if viewing away from the cook area, the display will scroll. When connected to the computer no problem with viewing things, most everything is on the screen at the same time. Multiple probes, fans is a great option. Controlling different eggs is a great option.

Obviously computer connectivity is a no brainer, if you like it, it is a great option. The free software available for the stoker is a real plus and it continues to get better all the time. Some of the options the Stoker does not have on box is available via the software applications and adds some features of the q2.

If you are the kind of a person who can’t get the connectivity out of your system then there is only one answer (for now) stoker.

For a person who wants one egg/food controlled, want very simple intuitive use and has no desire to go with connectivity then q2. Keep in mind Guru does have a wireless version, however, with the new features of the q2 I would go q2.
  • Edemitch
    Edemitch Posts: 196
    Options
    Thanks for the reply. Lot's of information in there. I'm still not sure which way I'll go. I'll toss it around a little while and see where I end up. To your other post, yes I am definitely a techie. I run the engineering department at work and I've rarely had to call a repairman at home. Even then it's usually only for the parts. :laugh:
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    Thank you for the in-depth report!

Rascal