Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Quest for Lump

Options
Chick with Egg
Chick with Egg Posts: 8
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I read an earlier post that Royal Oak lump is the exact same as Big Green Egg lump. So I checked the Naked Whiz website and he says the same thing. I also hear that they have the Royal Oak at Walmart for half the price. Is this true? Is it the same lump?

Comments

• ChefRD
    ChefRD Posts: 438
    Options
    Howdy,
    I've only found Royal Oak Lump at wal mart during the summer here in Mi.
    I'm not "sure" if it is the same as BGE, but it cooks just as well for me, so now that is my preferred charcoal, but if its not available, such as now in the winter, I will use Cowboy brand which is always availabe at Menards, and most times at Lowes.
    Anyway if you get RO lump that is not made in argentina or some foreign place, check the bag,.. I would not hesitate to get it.
    HTH.
    Ron.
  • WalMart in our area has Royal Oak year round and I use it exclusively as well as recmmend it to friends. This is in North Augusta, SC
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Options
    I recently switched to RO and find it at least as good as the BGE lump. Looks the same, burns the same, costs half as much. I started using it because the BGE dealer near me dropped BGE lump because they raised their price. I have not seen it at Walmart, but I get mine at GFS. Highly recommend it.
  • Boatman
    Boatman Posts: 854
    Options
    Agway carries Royal Oak, about $12 for 20# bag.
  • lowercasebill
    Options
    dear chick,
    go back to tnw and read about royal oak in the reviews , carefully,, and shop carefully. R/O made in america is the same as bge. R/O also sells lump from 3 different south american countries. you need to look at the country of origin on the side ot the bag.... tnw has pics. imho i do no like south american lump regardless of brand. i thought the paraguay smelled like burning plastic and tnw found some plastic in his sample. anyway...buyer beware read the small print on the bag.
    bill
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Options
    That seems to be the correct info...be sure to check TNW's lump charcoal site for additional info. I get the R.O. (U.S.-made) at the local wally world for about $5.27 for a 10lb bag. The local BGE dealer carries Ozark Oak, and that brand is by farm my favorite to cook with, because it doesn't spark very much and it has a great flavor--not too overpowering.
  • N'awlins
    Options
    Ditto what Beanie-Bean said - I prefer Ozark Oak for flavor and less sparking.
  • pop-a- top
    Options
    walmart here in south dakota just has it in the summer I talked to them and they just got a little in
  • Scubadog
    Scubadog Posts: 100
    Options
    Just finished up the last of the BGE that came with my Egg purchase about a month ago. The Egg has been a ton of fun so we've been using it 4 or 5 times a week. I had never used lump before buying the Egg. Gonna try some Cowboy tonight because it was available at the local hardware store. But I gotta say that the BGE stuff sure looks alot better, more larges and mediums, and I have more confidence in it. It'll be interesting to see if the MADE IN AMERICA Royal Oak compares.
  • If you have a Costco nearby check out their spring section for some hardwood lump they have under the Kirkland Signature label. I picked up 7 20lb sacks of it last summer for $9.99 per bag. It sparks a little when lighting with the Mapp torch but burns hot and does pretty well for long low and slow cooks.

By far the best stuff I have used is the Billy Bones BBQ lump. It is made from Poplar and is the most dense stuff I have ever used. We did a 15 hr smoke with some pork butts and it rolled along at 250 the whole time. The next morning when I took the butts off, opened the vents and cranked the same load up to 400 plus to cook breakfast. He charges $10 per bag and it is hard to get but well worth it.

Dano
  • Scubadog
    Scubadog Posts: 100
    Options
    Just back from Wally. Royal Oak Lump Made in USA. $5.27 for 10lbs. Opened one bag and spead it out, Whiz analysis style. It looks beautiful. Lots of large chunks, very little fines and noth'n foreign or funny look'n. If it cooks like it looks then I'll be a happy camper It's low and slow Baby Backs tonight!!
  • Gandy Dancer
    Options
    Lump.jpg

This is what I use which is also made by RO. $20.00 for 40#