Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wild Turkey Breast

Charcoal Mike
Charcoal Mike Posts: 223
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
One of my buddies at work is an avid hunter, and recently killed a wild turkey. He has two three pound breasts that he would like for me to cook/smoke.[p]He is looking for "barbecued" turkey. Meaning, served with Barbecue sauce that will most likely be the one from GFW's site.[p]Anyone have a method for these? I have seen plenty of information on plain turkey breasts, but I'm not sure if these are going to be "gamey" tasting, and what I can do to prevent/reduce that.[p]Also, knowing ahead of time that the meat will be served with sauce, it there a particular rub that will go well with Turkey? [p]All ideas appreciated.[p]- Mike

Comments

• Trout Bum
    Trout Bum Posts: 343
    Charcoal Mike,
    I would definetly brine the breasts overnight.
    If doing both of them, I'd be tempted to do them to different ways. Maybe one sauced per the link below and the other just plane smoked or maybe soak in Italian salad dressing for 3-4 hours after brining before cooking.
    Either way I would cook indirect at 350-375 degrees with Pecan chips till 160 degrees internal (no longer). Would be best to use a Polder remote so the dome can stay closed for the whole cook. Pobably about 20 minutes per pound.
    Did one last night with Italian. It was super moist and oh so tender.
    B D

[ul][li]BBQ Chicken Breast[/ul]
  • Marv
    Marv Posts: 177
    Charcoal Mike, Soaking in buttermilk over night will elimiate the wild game taste.[p]Soak, rinse, pat dry and season as you wish

• Marvin
    Marvin Posts: 515
    Charcoal Mike,
    I agree with Marv and Big Daddy. The two methods can be combined by using the buttermilk as the liquid for the salt and sugar for the brine: about 3/4 cup of each in a gallon of buttermilk, a few crushed juniper berries, a few allspice seeds and/or several cloves. Let us know what you did and how they turned out.
    Regards,
    Marvin

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Charcoal Mike,
    Here is a couple of recipes.
    Larry[p]
    http://www.bowhunting.net/susieq/turkey.htm

[ul][li]Wild Turkey Recipes[/ul]