Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re so close to Thanksgiving that we can taste it and we’re ready to help you prepare the most delicious Thanksgiving feast you’ve ever cooked! Check out our Turkey Cheat Sheet for turkey tips, our Thanksgiving page for turkey recipes, and our Holiday Entertaining Publication for all other Thanksgiving needs to help you make this the best Thanksgiving yet! PS. Don’t forget about breakfast Thanksgiving morning either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

How hot does the EGG get?

Bill in VABill in VA Posts: 29
edited 3:33AM in EggHead Forum
Hi,[p]How hot does the outside surface temperature of a BGE get?[p]Thanks,

• BamabobBamabob Posts: 246
    Bill in VA,
    I'm sure you'll get more reports,but when I'm cooking in the 700°+ range the surface gets hot,but you can touch it and not get burned(can't recommend leaving hand or other parts against it too long:-) Bob

• Nature BoyNature Boy Posts: 8,378
    Bill in VA,
    It gets pretty danged hot. Once my egg was touching the side of the cutout on the wood table (just below the hinge), and it scorched the wood. This was during a multi-pizza cook where the dome temp was at 500 for a good while. Given time and a hot fire, it will get plenty hot.[p]That said, it stays relatively cool when cooking at temps under 300.[p]HTH!
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
  • sdbeltsdbelt Posts: 267
    Bill in VA,[p]That depends on how hot it is inside, and how long it's been that hot inside.[p]For typical low and slows, with an internal temp of 200-300, the outside will never get so hot that you can't comfortably lay a hand on it.[p]For quick searing of a steak at 700+, the outside still probably won't get hot enough to burn your hand, though it will get hotter than the above.[p]For a multi-pizza cook at 600-700, in which the Egg stays in that range for an hour+, the external temp is going to get pretty hot. You probably won't burn your hand, but you'd want to be more careful than you might otherwise...especially around the metal of the band.[p]Enjoy![p]--sdb
  • elFloydelFloyd Posts: 50
    Bill in VA,[p]At the turbo temps, it'll get too hot to leavy your hand on the surface.... but if you touch the surface, you will not get burned. I've had metal grills where if you accidently touch the surface (just for a second) it'll blister the skin. I've never come anywhere close to doing this in the five years I've used my BGE.[p]elFloyd[p]in VA too.
  • WooDoggiesWooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    elFloyd,[p]I agree. Metal transfers heat much faster than ceramic.[p]Though the egg can get very hot your are less apt to be burned on the ceramic than on a conventional cooker.[p]WD