Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Check out this cookbook...

Options
Gretl
Gretl Posts: 670
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
...It's a classic!
http://www.lileks.com/institute/gallery/hungryman/index.html
Cheers,
Gretl[p]p.s. I butterflied two chickens yesterday and they were the BEST EVER. Okay, I used to be a Beer Butt Bird fanatic, but I think I've turned the corner....
G.

Comments

• Janet
    Janet Posts: 102
    Options
    Gretl,
    I am sitting here with tears streaming down my face. Am glad I work at home. Thanks!
    The following makes me very glad for the egg:
    http://www.lileks.com/institute/gallery/misc/aaaahhh.html

• MickeyT
    MickeyT Posts: 607
    Options
    Gretl,[p]I've turned that same corner. 6 lbs chicken in 55 minutes. Can't beat that. My wife even agrees with me. Now that's a first. :>)[p]Mick
  • Gretl
    Options
    janet,
    Oh, thanks. Now I'M LOL and I'm NOT at home; it's a dead giveaway that I'm not doing my work when I'm laughing! Great stuff. Thanks.
    G.

• Gretl
    Options
    MickeyT.,
    I did two 4-to-5 lb birds (large BGE with the grill raised) in about an hour and a quarter. I checked the thigh temp even though, after a leg FELL OFF while I was turning it, I was pretty certain the birds were done. We absolutely couldn't believe how tender and juicey they were. I did them with herbs, garlic, and olive oil under and on the skin, finished with Ken Stone's Big Chief sauce on both sides. Oh, I did brine them first for 24 hours. Leftovers for lunch today. Yay!
    G.

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    Gretl,
    And I was just getting the hang of Egging!!! Now I have to get me one of those nifty coral and robin's egg grills with wheels swiped from a Radio Flyer wagon - And the wardrobe, Lord, the wardrobe alone could bankrupt you! (I have my eye on a tartan plaid can labeled "Snacks.")[p]When you butterfly, do you do direct or indirect?[p]KS

• Gretl
    Options
    BlueSmoke,
    Direct, but raised the grill on the Large by putting 3 bricks on their sides at the edges of the lower grill, and topped with another grill. I kept the temp around 350 or thereabouts. I started skin-side down on the oiled grill; turned it at about 1/2 hour, added the Big Chief sauce, turned again after about 1/2 hour and added sauce to the underside. Removed the birds about 15 minutes later when thigh temp was 175. As I mentioned, the leg fell off when I flipped it (duct tape fixed it right up*) and these were two of the tenderest critters we've had. I do think brining is the key, though. It would be an interesting experiment to do two birds on the same grill, one brined and one not, and compare moistness and texture. One of these days, perhaps!
    Cheers,
    Gretl[p]p.s. With your new wardrobe, don't forget the mismatched barbecue mitts to avoid being called a Sissy Griller.[p]*I'm joking, of course

• Gretl,
    Please advise of the brine mix please. I have done the little chix too, but never brine. sounds good.THanks

• Gretl
    Options
    Seth Howard,
    There are many brining recipes; the most bodacious of which, in my opinion, is the brined turkey breast posted by Julie Applegate (JAppledog) who took it from (I think) John Ash on the Food-TV network. The brine I use most frequently because it's easy and I'm ALWAYS in a hurry is about 1/3 C Kosher salt and 1/3 C sugar dissolved in about a gallon or more of cold water. Adjust this according to however much water you need to cover the meat. (Tip to find out how much water you need...get a pot big enough to hold the bird (or cut of meat), add water to cover, then lift out the meat leaving the right amount of water in the pot.) Brine for 24-hours or more, remove meat from the brine, rinse, dry, and proceed with your preparations. Great results.
    Cheers,
    Gretl

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Gretl, one other hint. Use a small trash bag (never used of course) to place the bird in. Then you can place cans or blocks in the pot, put the trash bag with the bird in and then pour your brine into the bag. Takes up that much less brine. [p]Also, I know you know this, but be sure the brine is cooled BEFORE you pour it in with the bird. Warm brine can cause the growth of unwanted bacteria even if chilled later.

• Wise One,
    Thanks Gretle, I will try this this weekend.

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    Gretl,
    Right about the gloves... now if I can just find some two-tone wingtips I'm set. :-)))))))