Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza Tonite 1st Cook

Options
SWOkla-Jerry
SWOkla-Jerry Posts: 640
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My 1st attempt. It tasted fantastic.

Pre-bakedPizzafortheEgg-Feb182008.jpg

Pizzatotheegg-Feb182008.jpg

And then finally done
Goldencrustedpizzaat600degrees-Feb1.jpg

This was a team effort, as Teresa made the dough and put the pies together. I cooked @ 550-600 dome, inverted platesetter, on top of grill for 12 mins. Washed it down with Gnarly Head Cab.

Comments

• "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Options
    Looks goog.Do you deliver? ;)
  • NibbleMeThis
    Options
    I am wanting to make my first pizza this weekend. Where'd you get your dough? Did you make it from scratch, a mix, or buy from a pizza place? And what kind of sauce?

Sorry for all the questions, :blush: , I just want my first to taste as good as everything else I've made on the egg ;)
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • SWOkla-Jerry
    Options
    Sauce was Walmart in a jar(pizza sauce), I added granulated garlic and fresh basil from my AeroGarden. Dough my wife made from scratch, but it was pretty easy, pkg yeast(active dry), cup of warm water 110 degrees add to yeast, 2.5 cups flour, tsp salt, tsp sugar and 2 tbs canola oil. Mix all together, kneed lightly dusting with flour as necessary, cover and let rest in a bowl for 15-30 mins until almost double in volume. Then flatten out in pan. Thats it. Then top with pizza sauce, canadian bacon, pepperoni, onions, and lots of mozzarella cheese or any toppings of your choice.
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Options
    Congrats on the successful pizzas! May I ask how you got your pies so round? Mine came out amoeba-shaped :P They still tasted great, though!
  • SWOkla-Jerry
    Options
    We use 16" round pizza pans, and press out the dough in the pans following the curves of the pan. Works out great.
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Options
    Thanks! And to think I was using the pizza pan as a drip pan for my low-and-slow cooks. I actually got the idea for that from one of the other forumers (? is that a word) because the ends of my ribs would get done more than the center section. It had to do with the size of the gaps between the plate setter and the grid. The 16" pizza pan solved that problem by making the "direct" area of the cooker very even around the edges.

I'll try the dough in a NEW pizza pan next round...the other one has too many battle scars from cooking. Thanks again for the info.
  • SWOkla-Jerry
    Options
    LOL...I also use my pizza pans for a drip pan in my XL..just not too much room between the platesetter and grills
  • Chef in the Making
    Options
    I also made by first pizza tonight on the Egg. Alas mine is a mor tragic tale. It was a ham and pineapple with cheese and sauce. I placed it on a new stone and it looked absoluely beautiful going on the Egg. I cooked it for about 40 minutes at around 410 degrees. Again it looked like yours when I took it off the Egg absolutely perfect. But then disaster struck. I went to take it off the stone. It wouldn't move. My wife looked at me and said that was a new stone wasn't it, did you grease it she asked? We went out to dinner on me.
  • SWOkla-Jerry
    Options
    Bummer..I hate when somethin like that happens. I haven't bought a pizza stone yet. Is on my list to buy at Oklahome Eggfest in April. I have always used pans in reg oven so cookin on BGE wasn't much of a stretch.
  • Chef in the Making
    Options
    I just spent an hour trying to clean the stone with marginal results. I will try again tonight with a mushroom and pepperroni pizza. If that does not work I will retire the Stone to in direct oven duties
  • Crimsongator
    Options
    Have you tried using a pizza stone? I can't see if you are using a deep dish or flat pan for the pie.

Gene
  • SWOkla-Jerry
    Options
    I haven't purchased a stone yet. I use a flatter pan on this cook, but I do have a deep dish pan. I was in pizza business for 4 years and have these left over from the job.