Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Who’s ready for September? We’re ready as ever for football season! Check out our tailgating page for recipes that are great to bring to a tailgate, or cook at home if you’re entertaining friends during a game. Either way they’re sure to become a fan favorite! We couldn’t forget about Labor Day...we have recipes and cook out ideas to celebrate the long weekend no matter what you’re doing. And lastly, be sure to cook up a batch (or five) of bacon for National Bacon Day! We can’t wait to fall into cooler weather with you!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

cold smoke setup

ChuckChuck Posts: 812
edited 11:29PM in EggHead Forum
<p />This is the setup I referred to in an earlier post that I use for smoking cheese. I have also done salmon in this way for something close to lox. Have a great night.[p]Chuck <><

Comments

• Nature BoyNature Boy Posts: 8,354
    Chuck,
    I am gonna do this one day. Looks like you got it workin righteously. [p]Speakin of workin', looks like you have some relatively serious un-cold action workin' in the cooker on the left! Serious turbo action goin down why you are fiddlin' with the camera![p]Nice pic.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
  • ChuckChuck Posts: 812
    Nature Boy, There is a pretty good glow goin on in there, huh? As I recall I was getting ready to do a steak on the "turbo" cooker. I pretty much crank it up as high as I can get it when I do steaks. Have a good one.[p]Chuck <><

• Chuck,
    I LIKE it. How low a temp can you hold in the smoker egg? I would be tempted to forgoe the egg and go with a smoking box with nultiple racks, but otherwise perfecto. My Little Chief has been burning a little hot...

• GrumpaGrumpa Posts: 861
    Chuck,[p]That is a very nice set up. Have you thought about doing bacon or Jerky in that type of configuration? You are giving me some great ideas and now it looks like I may have to add a third Egg to my collection.[p]Thanks for the great pictures.[p]Bob
    <><

Fozen Chosen, I have held under 100* for over two hours. If you try it you need to let the smoke exhaust from the smoke chamber fairly quick. If you let it build up too much the cheese or whatever you smoke gets bitter. The first cheese I did tasted like ash from sitting in "stale" smoke. Let usnow how you make out if you try it.[p]Chuck

Bob, No I haven't done jerky or bacon using this method. I have done a lot of jerky and I think I would be afraid to mess with "perfection". The bacon sounds like a possibility though. I would love to hear how you make out if you try it. Let us know.[p]Chuck