Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Butt Timing Question

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I put two pork butts on my large egg at 12:00 last night. They are approximately 7.5 pounds each. I have kept the egg between 220 and 240. The meat is currently at 170 (seems to have been holding fairly steady, between 160 and 170, for the last 4 hours or so). How long should I expect before reaching 195-200. Do you think I am on schedule for a big dinner tonight? or should I crank it up a little? Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    If your readings are correct, 15-16 hours at the most should do it. I would think that you're on schedule. Bon Appetite!

Rascal
  • It is hard to tell when something is going to be done with time. Stuff is done when it is done. Each piece could very well finish at different times.

If eat time is getting too close and you are not at internal temp, foil and crank up the heat.

If you get done too soon, then wrap in foil, I then wrap in heavy blankets (bought a coule of king size just for this). The meat will stay 'hot' for 3 to 4 hours.

Many of the folk heavy foil and put in coolers with towls and or news paper with same 'hot' holding time.

Have a great dinner and let us know how it turns out.

GG
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    I put 2x 6 lb'ers on last night around 8pm at about the same temps as yours..they hung on the plateau at about 177 for 5-6 hrs but now are 194..u should be fine for dinner unless you are in Europe and it's nearly dinner time now!!...I say crank 'er up a bit to 275 or so..once they clear the plateau shouldn't take but a couple hours to reach 200. Then remove from the egg, foil and wrap in towels, put in cooler and wait at least 1 hr to pull.
  • Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    A 7.5 lb butt should take around 14 hours or a little more to cook depending of the moisture content of the meat.If you have planed dinner for around five you should be ok.Be patient.
  • Yep, the crew is giving you good information...I'd count on pulling it at 14-15 hours at that temperature.