Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

20# chuck roll graph

Options
UnConundrum
UnConundrum Posts: 536
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
A buddy asked me to co a chuck roast for his daughter's first birthday tomorrow, so I thought I'd pass a graph for newbies. Click here to see the graph. The internal temp (the blue line) will plateau around 140F and the dome temp (green line) will actually start to decline when the internal temp hits about 130. I'll probably pull it tomorrow at about 175.

Comments

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    I dig the graph action....I picked up a 17 pound chuck roll Thursday and cooked 11 pounds of it for a potluck today. I did a pepper beef braise for the finish. Saturday I am going to barbecue the remaining 5 or 6 pound piece with just a standard foil finish. I take mine to almost 200* internal.

IMG_0485a.jpg

IMG_0507c.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • TomM24
    TomM24 Posts: 1,366
    Options
    That looks interesting. I love those peppers. What all was in the braising liquid? Did it have any of the liquid from the peppers.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Tom,

Here is the scoop. The braising liquid is:

1 jar of the pickled pepperoncini with the juice
    1 can of beef broth (chicken broth can be used too)
    1 package Lipton onion soup mix
    1 package of Good Seasons Italian salad dressing mix.

Depending on the type of vessel you are braising in you may need to add more broth, some water or beer until the level looks good, about 1/2 to 2/3 of the roast covered.

The full technique is on my site, link below. Look in the BEEF section. EDIT: The liquid makes an excellent dipping juice!!
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery