Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked Salt

Options
Ca_rnivore
Ca_rnivore Posts: 120
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Has anyone smoked salt before? I tried it using the recipe from one of Raichlen's BBQ books, but it didn't turn out as expected. The salt had only a light coating of smoke and didn't taste any different than normal. [p]Basically I had an aluminum pizza tray with salt on it, hickory chunks spread throughout the lump and more hickory chunks on top of burning coals. I let it go for about 2 hours at ~225*. Should I let it go longer, or maybe increase the temp?[p]--Kevin[p]

Comments

• Ca_rnivore, I haven't tried the "do it yourself thing" but I use hiskory smoked salt in a couple recipes all the time. It's available here (cheap) under Kroger's own label.

• Ca_rnivore, hey Kevin you might try this, coarse salt in a saucer covered with (oh no )Wrights liquid Smoke, then put it on the counter and let the liquid evaporate - smoked salt! reg
    [/b]
  • Ca_rnivore
    Ca_rnivore Posts: 120
    Options
    reg,[p]Thanks for the tip, I'll keep that in mind, but I might be better off just buying the smoked salt next time I'm out! Once, on a dare I took a chug of that Wrights stuff straight out of the bottle. T'wasn't a smart way to earn a dollar! :)[p]anyway, thanks again,
    --Kevin