Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Smoked Salt

Ca_rnivoreCa_rnivore Posts: 120
edited 9:14PM in EggHead Forum
Has anyone smoked salt before? I tried it using the recipe from one of Raichlen's BBQ books, but it didn't turn out as expected. The salt had only a light coating of smoke and didn't taste any different than normal. [p]Basically I had an aluminum pizza tray with salt on it, hickory chunks spread throughout the lump and more hickory chunks on top of burning coals. I let it go for about 2 hours at ~225*. Should I let it go longer, or maybe increase the temp?[p]--Kevin[p]
·

Comments

• Ca_rnivore, I haven't tried the "do it yourself thing" but I use hiskory smoked salt in a couple recipes all the time. It's available here (cheap) under Kroger's own label.

·
  • Ca_rnivore, hey Kevin you might try this, coarse salt in a saucer covered with (oh no )Wrights liquid Smoke, then put it on the counter and let the liquid evaporate - smoked salt! reg
    [/b]
    ·
  • Ca_rnivoreCa_rnivore Posts: 120
    reg,[p]Thanks for the tip, I'll keep that in mind, but I might be better off just buying the smoked salt next time I'm out! Once, on a dare I took a chug of that Wrights stuff straight out of the bottle. T'wasn't a smart way to earn a dollar! :)[p]anyway, thanks again,
    --Kevin

·