Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

steelhead trout

Babyray
Babyray Posts: 250
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My neighbor just showed up with a beautiful filet of fish (bought at Sam's) that she thought was salmon. (it looked like salmon).. The label said steelhead trout. Is this a form of salmon?

Thanks,

Ray

Comments

• Hammer
    Hammer Posts: 1,001
    Ray, I don't know but glad to see you post. Tell Faye Sondra and I send our best.
    Mitch
  • It's a landlocked trout, found mostly in the northwest. In Oregon, for instance, the indians control most of the land along side some of the best steelhead fishing in the world on reservations. Spelling??? On the Wilamet River.
  • "The rainbow trout are unusual in that there are two forms which sometimes share the same habitat. The anadromous form called "steelhead" migrate to the ocean, though they must return to fresh water to reproduce.

The freshwater form is called "rainbow trout", based on the broad red band along their sides. Steelhead are exactly the same species as rainbow trout. However, the difference is anadromy. After going to sea, their color changes, including loss of the red band. They stay at sea for 1-4 years, and return to fresh water to spawn. Rainbows stay in fresh water their whole lives."

steelhead trout on wikipedia