Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tandoori Chicken Results

Options
RhumAndJerk
RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
The flavor of the chicken was right where it should have been. However, I was a little disappointed in the texture of the meat, it was a little mealy. The cooking time was 15 minutes at 450. My wife really really liked the flavor and the kids ate it up. The marinade is exactly what it should be.[p]Here are some things that I think that I did wrong.[p]First, I marinated the chicken too long. Instead of overnight, it should have been more like four hours. This would help in part to explain the mealy texture. The yogurt really broke down the meat.[p]Second, I did not remove the excess marinade before I grilled the meat.[p]Finally, I did not cook at the right temperature for the right time. It should have been hotter and cooked less time. I fired up the egg and let it get up to 700 before I inserted the skewered chicken through the dome. After I put the chicken in, I noticed that temperature was down to 450. The only thing that I can figure out is that flames were licking the thermometer giving a false reading.[p]When I am happy with the process, I will post it.[p]I cannot wait to try this again,
RhumAndJerk

Comments

• BluesnBBQ
    BluesnBBQ Posts: 615
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,[p]Next time, try scoring the chicken before you marinade it. Just make a few diagonal slashes into each piece - I've seen a couple of tandoori recipes that say to do this.
  • RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Options
    BluesnBBQ,
    I should have done that. I just assumed that the chicken would be thin enough since I was using boneless, skinless breasts. I guess that I was wrong.[p]Thanks for reminding me,
    RhumAndJerk[p]