Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

spatchcocked chicken

Options
tipc1
tipc1 Posts: 20
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I did a Spatchcocked chicken the other night and it turned out great. I do have a question though. While the chicken was removed at a internal breast temp of 173* the wing joints appeared to be bloody...
and I mean bright red bloody. I'm talking about the last and smallest joint on the wing. The meat was obviously done. The blood? only appeared on the wing joint. What gives? i know that when you smoke meat it takes on a pink color but this was kinda gross. I was a little embarrassed when my daughter exclaimed in front of our guests
"OOOOO is that blood? is it done?
Has anybody noticed the same thing when doing chicken this or any other way?

Comments

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    tipc1,[p]I didn't have that experience. Were both wings that way or just one side? I rotated the grill durring the cook (due to flame being bigger on one side of the egg). [p]Also, I didn't check meat temp, just cook for 35 minutes on one side and 30 on the other.[p]smokey.gif
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    tipc1,
    Hmm, I've not ever had blood around the wing. Maybe this was an odd chicken....[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Frozen Chosen
    Options
    tipc1,
    I had the same experience. I've been cooking this at 350 direct, but now go with a bit longer on the cavity side, like 35 minutes; followed by 25 on the skin side. I might be using a bigger bird, as there is no way I would get two of these on my large. I think others have posted you can fit 2 butterflied birds aat one time; these must be smaller chickens.

• Mark G
    Mark G Posts: 39
    Options
    Frozen Chosen,[p]I use the fryers which are a little on the small size compared to a roaster. I get two on no problem.[p]Mark G
  • char buddy
    char buddy Posts: 562
    Options
    tipc1,[p]I did a jerk spatchcock using a low temp = 250• and under - and cooked my chick for three to four hours until the thigh registered over 180*. It comes out a little like pulled chicken. The jerk marinade helped keep the breast more moist that it might otherwise be when the thigh hits 180*+. [p]If I cooked at chick at 30*, I'd stll take the thigh to 180*+ and I'd either brine it or marinate it to keep the breast moist.[p]CB