Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brined Chicken for the first time

Options
Seattle Todd
Seattle Todd Posts: 227
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Pretty durned good. Only problem was I used a little pecker. Meaning only a 3 - 3.5 pound chicken. Don't think the polder QUITE got it right as the breast was done but could have gone longer without getting too dry. Had to carve and throw the thighs back on for about 6 minutes. The fiancee loved them but not as much as a good steak. Knew there was a reason I proposed to that woman! Used the 'Chicken Rub with Love' sold by Tom Douglas of Seattle. Very good. Like to try it more liberally applied on some breasts soon.[p]On another note since I loved his salmon rub so darned much I picked up a few more last night. Tried the seafood rub on some shrimp last night (broiled not egged) and they were delicious! Had a great but not overpowering curry flavor. Even the fiancee liked them and she's not a rub-lover. I was almost upset that I had made her pesto alfredo penne for her shrimp in anticipation of her not liking the rub. But I had some GREAT leftovers today sans shrimp. =) Thought of Nature Boy both last night when I was munching the shrimp and today when I read his Tandoori post. That was the first chicken I tried on the Egg and it was great![p]Good eats everyone and I hope you enjoyed your Tandoori as much as I enjoyed mine, NB!

Comments

• King-O-Coals
    Options
    Seattle Todd, get you a couple of them big old baking hens. They are beautiful and tasty after brining. NO DON'T,, I'M JUST KIDDING. They should put them in lifeboats. If the ship sinks, you could chew on them for months. They taste great and cook up picture perfectly,, but they just won't go a way. They are no where near as tender as a size 10 tennis shoe. BUT, a (good cook) friend of mine, today suggested the capon's from WalMart. He has not brined one,, but he said they are as big as baking hens but very tender. I'm brining a couple of "young" tender fryers this weekend,,, but I will definately try one of these capons next..