Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need Egg Table Ideas

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey guys. Brand New Egger here! I've been Qing for a while now and finally just got a myself a Large BGE. I can't wait to put it together and fire it up. I've seen some custom tables before that were pretty cool. Can you guys give me some ideas of what you use? Also are there any plans out on the net that I can use? I don't have a covered patio for my BGE so I'll have to wheel it in and out of the garage, so my table will need wheels.

Please include pictures of your table if you can. Looking forward to your feedback. I'm sure I'll be back for more questions.

Comments

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• milesofsmiles
    Options
    Till you get your table built. CAUTION. Pull your egg DO NOT PUSH. You will maintain better control of the egg. Good cookin to you. Miles out.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    OK- Now you've been directed to THE gallery of tables which should give you some good ideas. Some other things you should know:

"PULL, don't push your Egg" applies to moving the Egg when it's in the nest.

Wheels: When I first got my egg I wheeled it in and out of the garage and it was kind of a pain. Moving in and out of the crowded garage, it had to go over a lip and a bump which would rock the Egg quite a bit and made me uncomfortable wear and tear-wise. The table with the Egg in it gets quite heavy. Put 10" wheels on the Egg end and put some fairly heavy duty casters on the other end. You might eventually find an outdoor spot where you can park it and buy a cover (that's what I did). I still move mine around a bit, but not as much and it's MUCH easier since I added the casters.

Wood: Use wood that's good outdoors or what you would use on a wooden boat (Cedar, Mahogany, etc) I wouldn't recommend Pressure treated wood (IMHO), though many have used it and are satisfied with the results.

Finish: Some people finish with a penetrating sealer (My recommendation) others go with the Spar urethane (which I think they use on boats) Regular polyurethane won't hold up well exposed to weather over time.

Time: Some people can whip these things together in an afternoon, others take a bit longer. I built mine over a couple weekends and spare time at night because I don't build stuff often and I wanted to do it once and do it right.

FWIW : the table is cool, but I find I don't cook out in inclement weather so much because I don't want the table and all the stuff on it getting soaked. If I had a nest instead I wouldn't care about the weather. I'm glad I built the table and would highly recommend it, but for my next Egg (which will be a small) I'm going to just do a nest so it can be my inclement weather egg.

Plans:
    http://www.biggreenegg.com/pdf/tableplansLarge.pdf
    http://www.nakedwhiz.com/tableplans/tableplans.htm

Good luck and have fun!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    One more thing-
    If I was doing it again, I think I would minimize the gap between the boards on the top or even go with solid surface. As I recall, the gap I left was larger than what is typically shown on the plans.

Also, take a look at the size covers that are available and choose a size for your table that a standard cover will fit. Mine is in between a large and small table length. when I add a drop leaf on one end, the large cover I'm using will fit perfectly.
  • Thank you very much for the advice and the links. I will take all of this into consideration. I'll post some pics when I'm done with the build.