Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

new gasket fit

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just finished installing a new NOMEX gasket on my large and when I did the dollar bill test it pulls right through with very little resistance.Before,with the old felt gasket I couldn't pull it through at all.It feels like this new material is just a whole lot slicker than the felt.
Has anyone else noticed this or do I need to re-align my top?
Thanks
Jim

Comments

• 02Roush2
    02Roush2 Posts: 119
    Options
    I put the new Nomex gasket on mine recently and noticed the same thing when I did the dollar bill test. I tried to realign my dome lid but still didn't feel like I had "passed" the test. I smoked a pork butt on it Sunday and had no problems whatsoever. No smoke leakage and it held temps great. I think I may leave well enough alone. If you do try to realign your lid be sure to let us know if it made a difference!
  • DynaGreaseball
    Options
    As long as the resistance is about the same all 'round, you're OK. Look for high spots.
  • Hammer
    Hammer Posts: 1,001
    Options
    I have installed the Nomex(Top and Bottom) on one XL; Felt & Nomex on another XL for comparison purposes; and Nomex on both of my larges.
    All passed the dollar bill test; in fact tighter than
    when I used the felt. As I explained in an earlier post, the Nomex seems to hold the heat better. I mentioned to the folks at the mothership that I had noticed on all the cooks that it took the heat longer to dissapate after the cook because of the apparent seal between between the dome and bottom.
    When replacing your gasket; did you do both the bottom and dome? Just curious.
    Regards
    Hammer
  • Yes I did both and appearance wise it looks good as far as alignment goes it has always had a slight overbite about 7 or 8 o'clock and looks the same now.
    Thanks
    Jim
  • Hammer
    Hammer Posts: 1,001
    Options
    The only way that you can get the overbite out is to make sure that the bands are properly lined up in the rear.
    In your case it sounds as if the dome, looking from the front needs to be adjusted to the left and pushed back slightly.
    Hammer
  • Well after stewing about it all night I loosened the top band and centered the dome as closely as I could and placed 6 slips of paper around the base.The tension on all was ,as far as I could tell,the same so I carefully tightened the band and it felt goodall the way around. At 21.5 mours post gasket replacement I fired it up for a mess of ribs.It does not leak and is holding temp. just fine.With my non contact thermometer the outside dome is 126 F and the outside gasket is 108F so apparently it is a success.
    Thank you all for your input.I really appreciate this forum it makes a very fine product an exceptionally very fine product.
    Thanks
    Jim
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Glad to hear the news.

GG