Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

rub now or later

popedaddy
popedaddy Posts: 51
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I plan on cooking a butt on tonight around 9 or 10 Is there any advantage or disadvantage to putting rub on butt now or later?? Thanks for the help!

Andy

Comments

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    someone asked about cooking butts yesterday and here is what i said..........

i have done a few pork buts in my time! i found that when putting on the rub it tends to stick to the butts better if you use some mustard first. some say to rub the butt before and put it into the fridge for 8...10...12.. hours. i usually just rub it and throw it on. i have found very little diffrence when i let the rub sit on the but for a couple hours and when i don't. as far as buying just make sure you buy one in the 7-10 lb range. i like them better than the 3-6 pounders. i usually trim off some of the exterior fat to make more "bark". you can place them fat up or fat down if you go with down the final product comes out a little less "greasier" IMHO.

as for pointers on the eggin itself. i usually take out all the leftover lump out and shake it to get more ash off. then i clean out as much ash as i can. if you are using started cubes break one into pieces and place one of the pieces into the bottom grate. so that you can light the coal from underneath. i just pour some lump in, others "build" their fire box. i place some chunks of unsoaked cherry wood in for flavor. place them through out the lump so that difrent pieces catch fire at diffrent times.

i usually let my butts "rest" in a preheated cooler for up to three hours. two is proabably better. here are some pics for you

100_0058.jpg

DSCN0084.jpg

DSCN0083.jpg

DSCN0336.jpg

;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• thanks Bente appreciate the help! Sounds like from your experience it doesn't matter.
  • BENTE
    it realy doesn't i just really hate containing everything so there is no pork juice on my carrtos... :laugh:

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Bente,

you've done a 'few' butts... LOL.

Why don't you let some of the newer people know what a few means from your point of view.

GG
  • BENTE
    proabably in the area of 125 or so... in six years of being an egger ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• poppedaddy,

bente knows of what he speaks. We all appreciate his and other eggers help.

Kent
  • TXTriker
    TXTriker Posts: 1,177
    Bente and the group, I'm a new egger and I'm looking at what I'm going to call a rain cover in Bente's picture. What are you using for a rain cover? I have used the cut up coffee can I saw pictured somewhere for a temporary cover but feel there is a better way.

Lots say they don't need one, I'd just like a decent option.

Thanks,

Ray
  • BENTE
    man i was glad i seen a familiar line at the top and i hope you see this. i went to my local ace hardware store and used a stove top cover. it was in the section where the wood stove accessories are it cost me $6.99 but just make sure to take the measurements of your daisey wheel with you so you don't have to make too many trips ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• TXTriker
    Are you able to swing the daisy wheel cover to one side (open) or are you limited to just opening the small vents on it?

Ray
  • BENTE
    i am able to only open the "petals" on the daisey wheel. but it will slide a little i have never tried to find out how hot it will get with the "rain cap" on there. i guess i need to.

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• TXTriker
    Thanks Bente. That really does help.

Ray