Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

ABTs on XL and taking to Bowl Party

Options
friscotex
friscotex Posts: 78
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
First, let me say that as recent BGE XL purchaser and forum 'lurker', I've already benefited tremendously by reading the forum topics. This is a very helpful forum for us newbies.

Now my questions:
1. What's the best way to cook a large quantity of ABTs on the XL? I've cooked a few using indirect w/ raised grill, but believe that I need to up the quantity for tomorrow's party? Suggestions?

2. Related to that, what's the best way to transfer the ABTs to the party and keep them somewhat 'fresh'? Keep warmed in oven once there?

Thanks in advance for all your suggestions. Glad to be part of this group.

Comments

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    number one i can't help on i have a large and a small....

as far as number 2 find a disposable foil pan preheat a cooler with boiling water....... it should keep heat for a few hours if they get cold zap them in the microwave for a few seconds apiece ;););)

HTH

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• easygoinjay
    Options
    I have an XL and was considering doing the same thing myself, but I've opted instead on just doing something even more simple and making some easy kabobs that I can cook on my friend's grill easily (no matter how crappy it is).

As far as cooking a large quantity, I would use my platesetter and my half moon raised grid in combination with the main grid. This would allow for quite a few, but if you don't have the equipment, you might have to be creative. Do you have a platesetter? I would use the platesetter and cook them indirect that way. I usually use a temp of about 350 and cook until the bacon is crisp. I even use mild smoke wood.

I was thinking of holding them on a cookie sheet with a grid (like one you would use for cooling cookies) in an oven at a very low temp (140-170). I would think that the dry heat in an oven wouldn't dry them out as long as the bacon is completely overcooked and that they should be okay for quite a while like that. 140 degrees is the minumum safe holding temp to keep nasty bacteria away.

You can take some out for service and peridically move them from the oven. I haven't tried this method, but let me know if you do and how it works for you. Good luck!