Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Boston Butt

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am planning slow cooking a butt over the weekend, but don't know if I can pull the meat long after it is done or not. Example; if I finish the cook at midnight tonight, can I pull the pork at 8am the next day? Any suggestion or advice? Thanks in advance

Comments

• DynaGreaseball
    Options
    Travis,[p]Normally a butt will take from 1-1/2 hours to 2 hours per pound to complete at 250° dome. There's about a 4 hour period where it's perfectly safe to double foil and wrap in towels and place it in a cooler after the cook to wait for guests to arrive. Some do it even longer than 4 hours.
    With that much slop in the schedule, you should be able to build in some safety (time wise) and be on time with some good hot, tasty pulled pork.[p]Hope that helps.

• Hammer
    Hammer Posts: 1,001
    Options
    I personally have never waited more than a couple of hours until I pulled it. It was still warm because I had double foiled it; wrapped in towels; and placed newspapers on top of it in a cooler.
    Maybe others can shed some light on this long of a time wait before pulling it. Eight hours seems like a long time.
    Hammer
  • DynaGreaseball
    Options
    Morning Hammer,

Just for your info, Travis posted his question over in the old forum. He can't see your answer.

Regards
  • DynaGreaseball,[p]Many thanks, I really appreciate it
  • Farlsworth
    Options
    But what if Travis wants to put the "done" butt in the ice box for 12 or 18 hours? Can it be pulled then?
  • Hey Dyna and Farlsworth,

Travis is a good friend of mine and I just got off the phone with him. I relayed your answers, so he is clued in.

I started a 8lb butt myself last night. I am 16 hours into to cook and the internal temp is 190, so I am almost done. I have not had to add charcoal, adjust the temp or even open the lid; this thing is amazing. Cooking brunswick stew this afternoon. Happy Superbowl.

Thanks...John
  • DynaGreaseball
    Options
    Now if he had one 'nem food suckers, it wouldn't matter one i-owe-ter when he finished it. You might tell him that it pulls better hot than it does cool.
  • Big Bird
    Options
    I did the same thing you mention (foil, towel, cooler) and served 6+ hours later with no problem. Mine finished at 6 am and I had it for lunch.