Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question about v-rack use

Options
mark9765
mark9765 Posts: 122
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was given a v-rack for my birthday and was told I could exchange it for something else if I wanted to. I am not sure if I would use very often. I am not a big fan of mushy (fall off the bone) ribs, I like to cook them flat on direct heat. What else would be a good use for the v-rack. I have a plate setter and I made an extended grate.

Comments

• Hammer
    Hammer Posts: 1,001
    Options
    Lot's of uses for a V rack. Besides ribs; I turn it over and use it for roasts; turkey breasts; roasts; just to name a few.
    The V rack is very versatile and as time goes on, you'll use it more and more.
    Hammer
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Options
    Mark,

I also like to cook the ribs flat. But, when they are too long to fit inside the cooker, and inside the area protected by the plate setter (and if I'm not using the pizza pan as a drip pan to block even more of the direct heat) then I will use the v-rack like this:

IMG_9133.jpg
    IMG_9134.jpg

Here is the pizza pan used as a deflector to keep the baby backs flat on the grate:
    IMG_8922.jpg

The ribs don't come out mushy, either. Keep the v-rack for some roasts, because you'll need it later on.

IMG_8536.jpg

Hope this helps!