Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

air reduction and low temperatures

edited 2:48PM in EggHead Forum
The air holes in the grate and firebox must be getting clogged, for I can't get rapid temp rising. Is there an alternative to emptying all the charcoal and cleaning after every use??[p]rig
·

Comments

• Tim MTim M Posts: 2,410
    grate7.jpg
    <p />robert ,[p]Yea, throw away the old ceramic grate and buy a new steel grate from Bge or get a 7" Lodge Cast Iron Trivet. Many more air holes allows faster temp rises and allows a Webber fire cube to start the fires from Under the grate for faster grilling temp fires. I have yet to find a fault with the new steel grates.[p]Tim
    [ul][li]Tim's[/ul]
    ·
  • Trout BumTrout Bum Posts: 343
    robert ,
    I use a piece of wire from a coat hanger, bend an end up at 90 degrees and about 1 inch long. I then use this to clean out the grate holes from the bottom. Works great, never had to empty out the lump to clean for good air flow.
    B D

·
  • Tim M,
    Thanks. Where do I get a large bge steel or 7" lodge cast iron trivet???[p]rig

·
  • GrumpaGrumpa Posts: 861
    robert,[p]Try this link. It is where I got mine.

[ul][li]Lodge[/ul]
    ·
  • robert,
    Yet another alternative to what Tim has told you is to buy a cast iron floor drain available at good hardware stores or plumbing supply shops.

·
  • davidmdavidm Posts: 64
    Tim M,[p]I see an 8" Lodge cast iron trivet on the Lodge Web site. Will that do for a large Egg?[p]Thanks,[p]David[p]
    ·
  • Spring ChickenSpring Chicken Posts: 9,696
    Tim M,
    I agree with Tim. My ceramic grate just fell apart one day. I called BGE and they promptly shipped a metal one (I paid shipping). I like it a lot better than the ceramic one. I first thought about seeing if I could have one made or substituting something else but I'm more than satisfied with the one they sent. BGE is in the business so I will trust their judgement on such things.[p]Spring Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

·
  • Tim MTim M Posts: 2,410
    Spring Chicken,[p]The steel grate seems to hold up better than cast iron. Someone reported a cast iron trivet that broke - assumably because of an air pocket in the cast or something like that. The iron can heat and bend too. Nature showed me one he had that looked like a basket rather than a flat trivet. The steel holds its shape better. An improvement might be oval or slots rather than round holes, but it works much better than the ceramic grates for sure.[p]Tim
    ·
  • BordelloBordello Posts: 5,926
    Spring Chicken,
    Do you have any trouble with the steel one tipping over when you stir the lump??????? That was the problem I kept having with the trivet until someone told me how to put feet on it.
    Thanks,
    New Bob

·
  • Angie2BAngie2B Posts: 543
    Tim M, Do you know if BGE has a steel grate for the mini? Thank you.

·
  • Angie2B, I'm not Tim but I betcha dollars to donuts that they don't - however measure the diameter of it and go get a floor drain disc. My local True Value carries them starting as small as 3" in diameter and up to 10".

·
  • YBYB Posts: 3,861
    Angie2B,
    The same steel great that fits the small fits the mini...I just put steel grates in all my eggs saturday.
    Larry

·
  • GfwGfw Posts: 1,598
    03_27_0009_41_04_small.jpg
    <p />kat, I'll second that! In a few days, my floor drain will reach it's 2nd birthday and it still operates as perfectly as it did in March of 2000 :~}

[ul][li]Floor Drains[/ul]
    ·
  • Angie2BAngie2B Posts: 543
    Thanks everyone![p]
    ·
  • Spring ChickenSpring Chicken Posts: 9,696
    New Bob,
    When I first put the steel one in, I thought it may cause a problem, but it hasn't so far. I stir gently. The one thing I did notice right away is how fast my Egg came up to 550 degrees. I had to slow that sucker down some or it would have gone through the roof. I keep my eye on it a lot better now. [p]Spring Chicken

·