Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Finally.......I got an egg (what to cook first)

Options
juggsnjorts
juggsnjorts Posts: 2
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well, after 7 long months of deliberation I have finally broken down and purchased an egg. I've been checking out, in envy, this forum for months and could wait no longer. Through the power of craigslist I was connected with the former owner of an "extra" egg, I took the drive out to his house tonight and came home an hour later with a brand new large BGE. Can't wait to break in my new tool!

My good friend, Bulldog Rob - Chief Cook of ULIKA BBQ, has been feeding me off his egg for months now, and will be/has been teaching me the basics of egg operation. He is a great cook and a serious competitor on the KCBS circuit. Check him out at: http://www.ulikafoodblog.com/

I'll post some pic's tomorrow, let me know what you think I should cook to commemorate the occasion!

Cheers

Comments

• Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Options
    hands down...pulled pork elder ward style..gotta learn the 'low n slow'..
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Try the simple stuff first, like burgers, chicken, pork loins. Try the Spatchcock chiken recipe found on the The Naked Whiz's web site. Check out all the recipes on WessB's site.

Get used to temp control. Get use to keeping your hands off the vents once the egg is cookin'. Get use to not opening the lid every 2 minutes.

Then graduate to the low 'n' slo. When you do Pork Butt is extremely forgiving.
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    Welcome to wonderful world of eggin'! I posted a new cook the other night that you oughta try...I call it slabbing a pork loin. It cooks quick and is delicious.
    DSCI0003-10.jpg

Take a pork loin and cut it lengthwise so that it resembles a slab or sheet(unroll it). Season both sides with rub, I dribble some balsamic vinegar and herbs on it too! Get the fire up to 325F and throw it on direct till it reaches 140F. Don't flip. Pull it off, roll it back up and foil it for about ten mins. Then start eating. Enjoy! Let me know how it went!
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Options
    How about some good old chicken? Or maybe some hamburgers? You'll have something good to eat after you're done figuring out the temperature control aspect of BGE-cooking.
  • East Cobb Eggy
    Options
    I would try to keep your temps low between 250 and 400 for your first cooks.

Personally, I was quite scared of the EGG at first using my platesetter for my first 5 or 6 cooks.

Keeping your temps low will allow you to get used to the EGG, allow for your gasket to have a better seal, and reduce the risk of flashback.

Flashback usually happens at higher temps. It occurs when you open the lid and the fire gets a rush of oxygen. It can really scare you.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/flash.htm

Check it out.

Greg
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    I'd be tempted to recommend some TRex'ed ribeyes or NY Strips to start off, but it's probably not a good idea to go nuclear right off the bat and roast your gasket. So yes, try smoking a butt for pulled pork first: it's easy, good practice and delicious.

DSC00098.jpg

DSC00100.jpg
  • juggsnjorts
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions fellas, decided to go with the spatchcock chicken and some portabello mushrooms. Got the egg up to temp and stabilized and am about 35 min into the cook. I'll post some pics of the final product in a couple of hours.

Again, thanks for your help.

Cheers