Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Egg Purchase

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm picking up my new large egg tomorrow. What's the going opinion on the immediate accessories that I need? I've tried searching the forum, but either it's not that user friendly, or I'm not well versed on searching. My bet is the latter.

Comments

• Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    I'd opt for a plate setter if you're planning on doing a lot of low-n-slow cooks like ribs, pork loin or pork butt. There are work-arounds, but a setter is just so easy.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Congratulations and welcome.

I would also suggest the plate setter and...

Ash Tool (use it as a grid (grill) lifter also.
    You will need some way to light your lump (which you also need). Starter cubes or you can use napkin with oil or a propane/mapp torch.

You will need a drip pan (walmart or such type store)

That is the very basics and you will soon learn you want other items

Extended grid (second raised grid)

Others will jump in and you will end up with a long list. Go a little slow and you will find some of the items you won't need or some of the items can be dual use which will save.

Have fun, Kent
  • Wilby
    Wilby Posts: 155
    Options
    I think you have the good information you asked for here. Welcome and enjoy some great cooks with you BGE.
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Options
    Congrats on the BGE purchase, Paul. Here's my recommendations for you:

1. Plate setter
    2. Grate extender
    3. Ash tool
    4. Instant-read thermometer (I use a cheapie Polder that I got from linens and things)

That should be good to get you on your way. Over time, you'll find that you need yet a million more accessories :P

Welcome to the EggNation!
  • lowercasebill
    Options
    the only immediate accessory you need, in my opinion, is a thermopen. i was told that by a competition egger when i bought my first egg, i took the advice and do not regret it. don't much matter what you cook or how you cook it you need to know when it is done.
    bill
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    In addition to the other recommendations, you will need a good pair of gloves that can handle high heat. Picked mine up at a welding supply store - they sell the same gloves to bakeries.
  • DynaGreaseball
    Options
    I can't add anything to the eggsessory list, but welcome to the forum. Come back often and keep us posted about your cooks.
  • East Cobb Eggy
    Options
    First, there are the EGG accessories. I platesetter is always good for the indirect cooks. In fact, I was a bit intimidated by the EGG at first and used my platesetter for my first couple of cooks.

Plate-Setter.gif

The next is an ash tool and grid lifter. The ash tool is needed to clean out your ash and the grid lifter will help you take off the got gird.

Also, there is the grill exteneder. This has two purposed. First is increase your space. Second is to get the cook a little further from the fire. The second really does make quite a difference.

Grill-Extender.gif

You will also need some good gloves. The changing out accessories mid cook can be a killer. I almost burned my hand off picking up a hot platesetter with a Pampered Chef grill glove. Most everyone has these:

31EgovjX5RL._AA280_.jpg

For me, I spent the first couple of months using the BGE firestarters to start the EGG. I have recently bought a MAPP torch which has decreased my prep time in half.

Personally, I have had my EGG since October and believe that I have spent more on accessories that I did not the EGG. This would include a sittin' chicken

steamer-chicken-display.jpg

A V-Rack

V-Rack.gif

A chicken wing rack (which is great in smoking drums)

master:BH013.jpg

A great one for brick oven style pizza is the pizza stone. Note that this is used with the platesetter (feet down). A 600 degree pizza in the EGG is a very special thing.

Baking-Stones.gif

and the ultimate must, a BGE table. I do not know what I would do without this workspace. In fact, I have landscape bricks on the rails around it to hold hot accessories that I pull out of the EGG.

Long%20Table.jpg

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Greg
  • Jeffersonian
    Options
    Show off!! :P

I have a grate extender and, in six years, I've never had the need to use it. It seems that the LBGE almost always has the grill space to do what I need it to.

The V-rack is an excellent recommendtion...I use it a lot. I'm also panting for a wing/leg rack. But the first order of business is building a new table...I'm going out to price the lumber and finish the Bill of Material for this puppy:

outleft.jpg

If you missed the previous thread, I have plans for the table for anyone who'd like to build one.
  • Rollocks
    Rollocks Posts: 570
    Options
    Make sure you have a bottle opener.
  • East Cobb Eggy
    Options
    The leg / wing rack is quite inexpensive at about $10.

Definitely worth it.

Greg
  • East Cobb Eggy
    Options
    Also, the grid extender is quite nice when cooking chicken breasts.

I grill them direct at about 375 - 400 and use the grid extender putting the cooking surface at the gasket line. This allows the chicken not to get too charred up.

Greg
  • Jeffersonian
    Options
    I checked out the wing/leg rack...you're right, it's $8 on Amazon. If'n I hadda known...

I'm doing some breasts tonight, stuffed with cheese and broccoli and wrapped in bacon (AZRP's idea...really good). I do them about 325*, indirect with an inverted plate setter, which gets them to gasket level. I can see what you mean about raising them if you want direct heat, though.
  • Thanks for all the advice. Obviously I bought the LBGE with the side tables. I think I will be building a table this summer to increase the workspace. Plus I have power tools that need some exercise. I ended up getting the plate extender, ash tool, and the electric starter. I cooked some pork chops this evening. It was the only animal flesh my wife had in the freezer that was ready to go. I used direct heat between 400 and 500 (newbie couldn't get the right mix of settings on the air flow), for about 4-5 mins a side. Outstanding!
    My list of necessities are growing, and its only day one. I think the V racks are next.
    Thanks again everyone.