Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dining out makes you appreciate the BGE!

Beanie-Bean
Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well, the Mrs. had another birthday today, and wanted to go to the Outback restaurant because the kids like the food (actually, the appetizers and sides) over there. We both ordered some Prime Angus steaks. She ordered a ribeye medium, and I ordered a filet mid-rare. Good thing that we only do that every now and then, because I could have picked up some choice-grade steaks of the same cuts and cooked 'em on the BGE and they would have been light years better. Seriously. With every new dish I prepare out there on the eggs, the less I'm inclined to pay someone some good money for a less-than-exciting meal.

Oh well, the things you'll do for the ones you love, right? I'm having a salad there next time--can't really mess that up. Have a great weekend, everyone!

Comments

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Mexican and Italian. That is it for me. Okay, every now and then something else. Like Chinesse.
    It is kind of nice not to cook one or two nights a year. :)

Mike
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    The night before eggfest we got in to the hotel and went over to Steak & Ale. We ordered prime steaks; they were so bland that Jeannie and I really felt like we had been scammed. Luckily the next day, we got to taste goodies from all over the Eggfest cooked by our Eggnation brethren(and sisthren?). When you look at all the money you save from not eating out, it's easy to justify the cost of an egg...and all the fun toys that go with it. :P
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    i'm with you!!! i traveled for an auction company for ten yeatrs i have eaten at about all the steakhouses that i care for. i have a few freinds that bought an egg at eggtoberfest this past oct. and they are still doing steaks wrong cause everytime they tell me that they went out they say steak and my big question is why????? i have not eaten a steak in a reasturant in 3 years and the last one was a prime rib cause of the au jus. i will order a steak sandwitch but usually come away dissapointed. although i am with CWM i will order mexican,and chinese, and pizza(kids). but tonight we ordered pizza(kids) and i fired up the grill wife asks me why and i said i just want to smell it ;)

happy b-day to your wife :cheer:

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    I have been known to carry one or two of my Dizzy Pig Rubs with me when I am forced to go out.. Actually got the Local Texas Steak House to use Raising the Steaks on my steak before they cooked it once (T-Rex'd and all).

Most of my family prefers what I cook on the egg so I am somewhat safe.
  • Boxerpapa
    Boxerpapa Posts: 989
    I feel your pain. However, it's nice to be waited on every once in awhile. i.e. no clean up.

...but I rarely go for steak when eating out. My choices:

Mexican
    Thai
    Sushi

and no way to fast food.
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    I've started carrying my own horseradish when going out for seafood. Too often the stuff they have has gone sour. It's good to have you back around on the forum!
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Celtic Wolf'

That's funny. Our family loves Arizona Gunslinger Smokin' Hot jalepeno sauce. When we travel we take several bottles with us. When I am out on business I always carry a couple with me. It seems to make the "road food" more bearable.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    There are a few steak houses here in St. Louis that make an Egg-worthy product, but they'e few, far-between and generally very expensive. Citizen Kane's is probably the best for a strip or filet, while Kreis has really good prime rib.

Outside of those, I'd much rather Egg it.
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    yeah..used to eat out every weekend..spend the money now at the meat market on some good beef or pork and pretty much havent been to a restaurant for dinner in months...
  • Foxy-Q
    Foxy-Q Posts: 28
    I agree that eating out makes you love your food off the egg more. However, we went to Kevin Rathbun's steak (chief off the BGE video) for my birthday a few weeks ago and the food was wonderful.

Foxy-Q
  • Foxy-Q
    Foxy-Q Posts: 28
    I agree that eating out makes you love your food off the egg more. However, we went to Kevin Rathbun's steak (chief off the BGE video) for my birthday a few weeks ago and the food was wonderful.

Foxy-Q
  • Great idea! Think I'm going to start carrying a couple of DP's in my purse.
  • I find myself going out to compare my food vs theirs. Sadly, its becoming onesided. I want to find a good BBQ place, so I can enjoy some food when I am too lazy to make my own. But place after place is a let down compared to the BGE