Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pastrami in my future

Options
Cpt'n Cook
Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Gonna be turning a couple of Corned Beef flats into fantastic Pastrami this weekend.

Is it best to leave the fat cap on or remove it before applying the crushed pepper rub?

Have done Pastrami in the past and it urned out to be the best Pastrami I have ever had, My aging brain has forgotten weather I removed it last time.

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    the stuff i get has just a little and i leave it. butcher near me makes his own corned beef. if you roll it and tie it, it fits sandwiches better. ive taken to just a long soak, black pepper and garlic rub, nothing fancy.
    2004_0122Image0020.jpg
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Fantastic stuff....

I get pre corned beef from the butcher (or market) soak it for 4 to 12 hours in water. The length of soaking depends on what I am doing with the pastrami.

Just snackin or making pastrami sandwhiches only I soak up to 12 hours not too much longer. If I am making pastrami burgers or othe meat & pastrami then I will not soak, or rince only or soak for 4 hours.

It is just a matter of taste preference.

I leave the meat as it comes out of the pack. It has some fat and I smoke with fat on top.

I do foil part way through the cook but it gives a good moist result.

follow thirdeyes steps if you need help. I don't soak as long as stated there.

pastramiwet1.jpg
  • Davekatz
    Davekatz Posts: 763
    Options
    I like to keep the cap pretty thin so that the cure can work fully through the meat. I've had a couple of cases where the cap was too thick and even after a 5-day cure I still had a grey stripe in the middle of the meat.

Here's a couple of my pastrami cooks:
    http://www.ramblekatz.com/BGE.html

Dave
    Food & Fire - The carnivorous ramblings of a gluten-free grill geek.
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    I removed as much of the fat cap as I could. I cooked the pastrami on the bottom of the rig and cooked a few fatties over top to keep the brisket moist. It worked really well. The main thing is to do a real good water bath first, to remove some salt. It won't come out as pink, but it does taste better,IMO. Great sammies!Enjoy!

DSCI0105.jpg
  • Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    Options
    Those were pretty much my thoughts, I sliced off most of the fat and they are now marinating in the fridg, I like the idea with the fatties so I may give that a try too.

Thanks Guys!
  • ttt
    ttt Posts: 12
    Options
    "if you roll it and tie it, it fits sandwiches better."

I'm guessing it'd fit moren just sammiches betta. I got me a younger brutha, he hadda have a pair if sizzors next to the toilet when he was goin number 2, so's he kood cut that thing in haff and make it flush..i sware that boy hadda shincter of a horse...why he didn't waddle when he walked into the toilet was always a mystery to me...I mean I'm thinkin I'm abut to pass somethin the size of a bowlin ball my butts gotta be hangin out there ate inches behine my head and my toes'd be two inches offa the floor as I was walkin towards the bathroom for shore...he was won tough umbre