Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Keeping it simple

Options
Ronbo
Ronbo Posts: 14
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Thinking of changing my handle from Ronbo to Simpleton...Simple rig, with a simple beer, and simple dinner...just doesn't get much better

Ribeyes with blue cheese topping

s1.jpg

s2.jpg

s3.jpg

s4.jpg

Comments

• BamaBackdraft
    Options
    Man, that made my stomach growwwwwwl! Looking good. Cook the taters on the grill?
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    Bea-u-ti-ful!!! Simple can be the best!
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    Excellent...I'll bring the asparagus.
  • how'd ya make the cheese sauce?? thanks! ray
  • Ronbo
    Options
    It is was just a hunk of blue cheese with a hunk of melted butter
  • Ronbo
    Options
    usually i do but tonight I was late getting home and the wife had already cooked them in the oven
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Great looking vittles...

& a quick egg start. That flame thrower is great. Talk about a quick start.

Thanks for postin.

Kent
  • Ronbo
    Options
    Good eye. That was definitely not product placement. But you are right. 30 Minutes from the time I walked in the door from work till I was sitting at the table feasting. Maybe Simplistic and Speedy should be the title
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    I was amazed how quick that thing got the egg up and cookin.

The only problem is I quite enjoyed bonding with the egg and resulting smoke. Bing the temp is single digits out side most of the time that bonding time is not so welcome and will defer until spring.

It tookk 12 seconds to get the large stabilized. Then puttin the food on and searing the meat took some more time. It was getting pretty cold so I lit the flame thrower pointed it down at the cement. The resulting indirect heat felt real nice.

Then I smelled something odd. Well, my belly is a bit big so seing my shoes is a somewhat a chore. Still smelling something odd I leaned over and holy cow the rubber insulated boots were just a smokin. I jumped into the 18" of snow to get the smolderin out and now the legs are cold. Not wanting to stop playing with my new 'egg lighter' I decided I need more cement space so I can use my dual purpos starter/heater if a little safer manner. So I decided not to get the snow shovel but use the flame thrower to melt some snow.

Grandma comes to the door and asks me what in the wild world of sports I am doin. Cookin snowballs I cheerfully repied (she didn't notice my boots). She just rolled her eyes and said stop playin around.

Thinkin it is best to set the flame thrower aside and quit playing with the darn thing. There is only so many things one can set a fire ya know. So, back to the egg to turn the meat.

Finished the cook, disabled the flame thrower, and shut the egg down. Food was great but I sure wanted to go out side and make some serious flame.

So went my night with the egg starter.

Be well my frient,

Kent
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Options
    Nice looking dinner, Ronbo. I like the bleu cheese thing...did you cook that separately? Or was that melted in the BGE with the steak?
  • Ronbo
    Options
    The wife just heated up some blue cheese and butter and then I just put on the steaks for about the last minute or so of cook time. I really liked it especially since the ribeyes were not quite thick enough for Trexing so this gave it just the right amount of added flavor.
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    I like simple also. Steaks look great!
    Clay