Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

plate setter versus pizza stone

Options
BamaBackdraft
BamaBackdraft Posts: 318
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Had my Lg BGE about 2 weeks and have been keeping the fire burning. The dealer did not have the platesetter so have been improving with small grills and aluminum foil. Saw where EggAccessories.com has a set up where the pizza stone can be used as a deflector. Any advise on which way to go will be appreciated.

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    You can use a lot of different setups one can use to achive an indirect cook.

Many people end up getting a pizza stone at some point in time.

The plate setter is often used right side up or inverted (legs up).

So the suggestions will dependent on what you are trying to acomplish or what you want to buy.

Let us know and we can advise better.

Kent
  • Spaceman Spiff
    Options
    Either way works.

I use eggaccessories multi rig with a pizza stone myself.

Spacey
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    pizza stone is good for the same kinda thing. i got a platesetter because i just let the platesetter get filthy. a pizza stone might pick up drippings and fat if it is used for indirect cooks, unless you wrap it in foil or something.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Broc
    Broc Posts: 1,398
    Options
    FWIW -- I use both the platesetter and the pizza stone simultaneously. When baking bread, pizza... I set the platesetter in legs down, then create a space [for air flow] between the top of the platesetter and the bottom of the pizza stone, or the pizza stone gets too hot.

Lots of people use copper elbows to create about a 3/4" gap between them...

~ Broc
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    I have the adjustabil rig, spider and pizza stone. Have not used the plate setter since I got the rig. I don't think you need both but the rig will allow you more options and for me it was money well spent.
    Happy Eggin Jim

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    its really hard to beat the adjustable rigs usefulness with a large egg. all ive ever used for inderect setups is a couple cheap firebricks, or a pan, or a pizza stone. where the platesetter may come in more handy would be for baking bread or maybe a pizza, but there are ways around it.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    Options
    You really don't need a platesetter. Fire brick splits work very well and are a little more versitile. Go to a masonary store and get a half dozen splits they are pretty cheap.
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    Congrats on buying the large egg and welcome. If you did not know, eggaccessories is my undertaking: a hobby turned enterprising venture. I don’t believe this is the proper place for me to make comparisons between products. So if you like, just email me and I’ll happily discuss the merits of the adjustable rig and woo2. Add a phone number if you want to talk. My email is acgpinc@charter.net

As always, I really appreciate the kind words from ya’ll regarding the toys. It’s fun to hear how you’re using them. Plus I’m learning a thing or two.

Tom
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • schley
    schley Posts: 35
    Options
    I have used a pizza stone in place of the place setter. Problem is, it gets filthy!!! If you can, get both.

Good Luck!!
  • Meatatarian
    Options
    I have the spider and rig from eggaccessories. I also have a pizza stone, but I DO NOT use the stone to deflect heat. Instead, I bought a 14" round cast iron griddle (Bayou Classic, I believe) and cut the ears/handles off. I use the cast iron griddle for a heat deflector. This keeps my pizza stone clean so that I can cook pizza or bread on it when I want to. I had originally intended to keep the cast iron griddle seasoned and clean in case I wanted to "fry" something on it, but that never came up so I just let it get crusty. I believe this setup allows me to do everything that a platesetter can do and then some.