Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Zahs!

Options
Nature Boy
Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Least that's what we called pizzas back in college. Anyways, every time I take the time to make Mr Hyde's (QBH, Brutus, Larry's) pizza dough it is exactly what I love in a crust. Outside crunch, inside chew....yowza. It's pretty easy too, you just gotta start the process in the morning for best results. Thanks so much, Larry, for providing that great recipe to the world.

Haven't done pizza on the egg yet?? You are in for a treat when you do. Hope yall are havin' a great week. Looks like the cooking is going strong around here!! Takes me 15 minutes just to look at all the posts with little cameras on them! Cook on, bruthas and sistas.

Chris

zadough.jpg
zas.jpg
zasCooked.jpg
DizzyPigBBQ.com
Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ

Comments

• La Egger
    Options
    Those look great.

Everytime one of the kids had friends over I did pizza. Now the friends are requesting to come over.

I did two chickens with "shaking the tree" this weekend with the thought of having one as some left overs. Forget that. Thanks :laugh:
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    We tried a bbq chicken pizza the other day (not egged) and it was fantastic.

The shop used a mild bbq sauce then some chicken, onions and other vegies. This was fantastic.

Haven't tried egged pizza as of yet. Yesterday, I dug out the pizza stone and am planning on getting around to cooking the pizza soon.

On the egg, what temp/time do you use?

Also, do you have a link to the dough recipe?

Kent
  • QBH
    QBH Posts: 49
    Options
    Chris, those look great. I gotta stop looking at this board when I am so hungry!

GG, here is a link to the recipe. Recently, I have been using 1/2 whole wheat flour, and half King Arthur's.
  • I couldn't see the link. Please post again. Thanks
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    Howdy Kent. looks like QBH hooked you up with his dough recipe. For temps, I like to have everything rolling along at 500+ when I put the pie in. Make sure and put some kind of spacer between your platesetter and zah stone. That way your zah stone is 500 or so, and won't get much hotter. No spacer and it will heat up well past that and you could burn your crust before the toppings are browned. Once I put the pie in I like to pour on a little more heat and get closer to 600. Time depends on so many things, including how big the pie is and how many toppings are piled on. I think I am usually around 10-12 minutes, but I look down through the top vent with a flashlight, and when the toppings are brown and bubbly, it's time.

Hope it helps! Good luck.
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    Hey buddy!
    Yeah, the board here has been a challenge to observe when hunger strikes. So many good pictures lately from so many people that are passionate about their food. It's almost like torture, but it's not. See?

hehe. Anyways, I have not been able to get close to your dough recipe with anything I have tried. And your recipe is not the same in my kitchenaid as it is in the food processor. Our food processor with the dough blade was destroyed in the fire. Any idea how long I need to run the dough in the kitchenaid with the dough hook to get similar results??

Hope yall are well. Tell Tonia I say hello.
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Thank you for the temps/time.

I didn't see the recipe for the dough. I will go back and re-read all the posts to see where I missed that.

Do you have any idea if the guys that are cooking from 700° to 1000° gaining anything other than flashbacks and burnt hair & possibly lost gaskets?

Another question I have been meaning to ask you...

I have been going to order some rubs, I am not (or don't think I am) partial to coffee or extreme fire flavor/taste's.

What are a few good flavors to try out.

So far I usually use either S&P or a layer of s&p, onion, garlic, then heavy light paperika - usually in that order. I cover each flavor somewhat solid over the meat.

Poultry I use the same but lighter layers. At times I just use lemon peper and at times some light garlic.

Other than that I have only tried spadell (sp) but I keep getting warned off because of the MSG.

Again thanks, Kent
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    700-1000 might work fine, but I've found that the most important thing with pizzas is to find the best balance between heat below and heat above. At the high temps you mention, you might be good for 1 pie, but by the second pie your stone will be too hot.

On the rubs, it's hard to say what will fit your tastes best, but I'm sure I could steer you right if I talked to you. I don't like to use this board to yap about dizzy pig, so give me a call or an email and I'll be happy to talk with you about it some more. I will say that the coffee cooks up to a simple "malty" flavor, and does not taste like coffee. Though the Red Eye might be a bit complex if you are used to very simple seasonings. Give me a shout offline and I'll be happy to fill you in on what I know.

Best of January toya. And happy cookin!
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Emarf
    Emarf Posts: 167
    Options
    man they look good
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Chris,

Thanks, I will give you a call tomorrow during the day if that is ok...

Kent
  • edbro
    edbro Posts: 300
    Options
    Could you repost the link please? It didn't come through and I'd really like to see this recipe. Thanks.
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    Sounds good Kent. If I am not around, please ask Gail or Kenny to give you my cell number. I have some running around to do (have to go pick up shoe moulding so we can finish trimming), but will have my cell with me.

Cheers
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Squeeze
    Squeeze Posts: 717
    Options
    Nice Chris, but wouldn't the zah's in college have been at about 2am with some warm PBR's and someone passed out on the couch? Hope things are well mang!!

-Kevin ;)
    Kevin Jacques
    The University of Que L.L.C. ®
    Killen, AL
    www.uofque.com

Take Your Taste Buds to School!
  • Mike in Abita
    Options
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Mike,

Thank you for the post.

Kent
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    Oooooo your pizzzzzzza looks good. Nice work.
    Egged pizza is real hearth pizza, nutten better. Zahs!