Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Accelerated Butt

Options
ViennaJack
ViennaJack Posts: 357
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Here's about 8# of pork butt I started at 9:06 AM today. I wanted to have it for dinner, so I bumped the temp up to 295* until the internal reached 195*, then I dropped it to 250* for about an hour, then down to 200* for keep-warm until I got back home. (All temp control was done via remote interface to the Stoker while I was in an all-day meeting about 45 miles from home.)

I usually cook these at 250* but 295* seemed like a good compromise to get it done faster without rushing too much. The end result was just fine - moist and tender and easy to pull. I sliced some up for dinner but it wasn't easy, even with a very sharp knife the slices wanted to fall apart.

The rub was Dr. BBQ Big Time BBQ Rub applied about 30 hours prior to cooking.

On the Egg at 9:06AM:

pb1-1.jpg

Coming off at about 7:30PM:

pb2-1.jpg

pb3-1.jpg

Stokerlog graph:

tuesdaybutt.gif

I sliced a bigger chunk for dinner:

pb4-1.jpg

And, pulled the remainder:

pb5.jpg

Enjoy,

Comments

• ThrRoff
    ThrRoff Posts: 169
    Options
    Looks great. Managing the cook through the web is amazing.
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    Man that looks great! I'm envious about the web base on your stoker. I still can't get mine figured out! Great Job and thanks for sharing!
  • ViennaJack
    Options
    Big'un wrote:
    Man that looks great! I'm envious about the web base on your stoker. I still can't get mine figured out! Great Job and thanks for sharing!

I'd be more than happy to walk you through my setup if you're interested - just let me know!
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Jack,

How are you hooking up the Stoker - what hardware are you using to interface?

If you open up one of your cooks to monitor again I sure would like to test a Linux connection? I have a Nokia pocket pc and would like to see how well that would work to monitor the Stoker.

Kent
  • ViennaJack
    Options
    Grandpas Grub wrote:
    Jack,

How are you hooking up the Stoker - what hardware are you using to interface?

If you open up one of your cooks to monitor again I sure would like to test a Linux connection? I have a Nokia pocket pc and would like to see how well that would work to monitor the Stoker.

Kent

Kent,

I have used the Stoker directly connected to my router, directly connected to a computer, and wirelessly connected via a wireless Ethernet bridge. The Ethernet bridge is a DLink DWL-G730AP: http://www.dlink.com/products/?model=DWL-G730AP. Let me know if you have any questions about any of these connection methods.

The Stoker is online now at http://68.100.149.93:6336, feel free to jump on and test with your Linux machine and your Pocket PC. Both should work fine, just use any basic web browser.

Enjoy!
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Thanks Jack. I appreciate you leaving this open.

Do you have a link to the logging program?

Kent