Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

You\'re probably right about air flow prob!

Options
Peter Creasey
Peter Creasey Posts: 253
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm fairly convinced now that despite my diligent lump stirring and ash removal from beneath the firebox, my problem was too large of a build-up of small used lump in the bottom of the firebox. As y'all speculated, this was probably impeding the air flow.

I removed all of the lump and found very few pieces that were large enough to be salvageable. Threw all the others away. Then scraped beneath the firebox again. Also reached as well as I could with the ash scraper behind the fire ring to scrape some ashes from there as well. I did not disassemble anything per y'all's recommendation.

With mostly new lump next time, I'm pretty confident that for my next cook my large BGE will crank up as quickly as it used to.

A question! Is there some strategy I can adopt so that I don't have to remove the built-up collection of small lump in the future? I had thought that I could count on just stirring the lump and then removing what falls beneath the firebox.

Comments

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Dont have any shortcuts for the small lump but I adapted a large piece of surgical tubing to my shop vac to reach around under the fire box without taking it apart.

Pat
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Pete,

I am really thinking hard about the turbograte for a solution.
  • Katodude00
    Options
    If you get the turbograte please post a review. I have been considering one primarily for cleaning, but it would be interesting to see how well it functions.
  • Avocados
    Avocados Posts: 465
    Options
    Just do a search here on the forum and type in "turbograte"

There have been a LOT of posts discussing it in detail over the last couple months.

You might have to switch to a different forum view mode to see the Search Forum field as it does not seem to show up in the Flat, Wide, or Classic Views.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Every 3 cooks, or so, I take out the bottom-most grate, and let all the ash and lump fall down. Then, with a paint brush and wok spatula, sweep up every bit of ash and lump. This works pretty well for about a year.

The first time I pulled the fire ring and firebox out, I was astonished at how much ash had built up. There was ash almost up to the holes in the firebox. And, to my surprise, lots of little bits of lump that must have fallen in around the edges.

I make plans to pull the insides out every 9 months,and do a thorough clean. Makes fire starting noticably quicker.

gdenby
  • Katodude00
    Options
    I like the idea of making an adaptor for the shop vac with some flexible tubing. That way I can do a full clean without removing the firebox and risk breaking it. Now I just need to find some nice flexible 1.5 - 2 inch tubing.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I think an abundance of small, coin-sized lump was my problem too. I think it happens when you keep adding to the lump without ever burning it down far enough. Also, I save used lump so I can use it during the week for quick cooks (burns clean quicker) and used lump usually contains some smaller pieces that were snuffed before they burned down all the way.

When using a shop vac to clean your egg, remember that the fine ash can clog the filter pretty quick! So just use it to finish, do as much of it by hand as you can.
  • Peter Creasey
    Options
    Grandpas Grub wrote:
    Pete,I am really thinking hard about the turbograte for a solution.

G, I did a search and read the postings on the "turbograte" and did not find them to be compelling. Maybe I'm missing the essence of whatever value it offers!?!
  • Avocados
    Avocados Posts: 465
    Options
    After reading all the past discussions (both for and against turbogrates) I also did no see the value in spending the cash on them either. I have three large eggs so it would be a chunk of change.

I've had very good result with the traditional BGE grids and using an old (cheap) shop vac to regularly remove the ashes and any small coals that block the ventilation holes.

I add small used coals on top of fresh larger lump and keep the stiring to a minimum between cooks and that usually keeps the small ones from plugging any holes.

Having good airflow has an even bigger effect on my small egg. It comes up to temp very fast, burns long, clean and steady when kept clean and free of obstructions.
  • JCinGA
    JCinGA Posts: 139
    Options
    Lowes has a set up for the shop-vac brand that is 1.5 or 2'' in dia. It replaces the larger hose that comes with the unit. I think it was about $40. That do what you want it too.
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    I always clean the fire box and try to stack for a long cook but inbetween use the shop vac under the fire box. You can get the tubing at any of the big box stores (home depo
    lowes etc,,,,,) It does avoid having to disassemble as often but not eliminate.
  • JCinGA
    Options
    Lowes has a set up for the shop-vac brand that is 1.5 or 2'' in dia. It replaces the larger hose that comes with the unit. I think it was about $40. That do what you want it too.
  • JCinGA
    Options
    Save your money. I've got one and it is more trouble than it's worth. You either love 'em or hate'em. I tried to give mine an honest attempt to work and had nothing but problems.