Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fajita Questions?

Options
ATX
ATX Posts: 98
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've been marinating this flank steak in some Goya brand Mjo marinade for about 48hrs. Is that too long of a marinade? I would have cooked it last night but the wife picked up some food on the way home. I plan on cooking it directly on the lump for a few minutes a side. Should I clean the old lump out entirely or can I cook on leftover lump?

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    i once left a flank steak in that same goya mojo marinade for about 4 days. .. .when i grilled it up it was fantastic. ...so go for it!! . ..

sure you can grill directly on old lump, just stir off any old ash first so that it is 'clean' ... .
  • ATX
    Options
    Great news. I'm relieved to hear it. I'll be sparking up the egg in a few hours. That's one fine piece of arm candy you've got there. I hear she's expecting. You old dog!
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Searing directly on the coals works great, done it many times.

I got my dome stabilized at 400°. Lump with a good glow over the lump. There was a some spots that were black.

I set the meat on one side of the egg for about 90 seconds. Turn to a different spot of lump for another 90 seconds.

There will be a great sear then I slice the meat thin and after the onions & peppers have softened I added the meat. Great mix.

Another option is to put a cast iron skillet on the lump (I use a spider now) let it get good and hot. I wait until the pan is at about 600° then I sear the meat both sides in the skillet.

The advantage to this method is after the searing process all those goodies are ready to enhance the taste of veggies. I move the skillet to the grid and add a little EVOO. When the veggies are almost done I add the thinly sliced beef.

When done correctly the meat has a wonderful sear and is nice and pink or one can let the meat cook a little longer for a medium temp of the meat.

I also use the same process with chicken.

Don't forget to put the tortillas on the grid and let them heat/cook on the egg. The tortillas will have a wonderful taste.

The tortillas flavor is a wonderful addition the fajita flavor.

At times I add cherry wood chips for additional flavor.

This is a great fast cook.
  • ATX
    Options
    Thanks, I'll have to try toasting the tortillas on the egg as you mentioned. Drooling now just thinking about it. Should be underway here shortly. I'll try and remember to take some pics.