Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Does such a gadget exist?

Options
greenhead
greenhead Posts: 26
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a GPS / heartbeat monitor that after a workout, downloads all kind of data to my computer. I can look at a bike ride, or run, and see where I did well, where I struggled, and so forth and so on.

In looking back at the few cooks that I have had so far on my egg, I thought it would be useful to have the data of the dome temp, and internal temp, in some fashion on my PC that I could look at. I know I have read about dual thermometer devices, do any of them allow you to download the data to the PC after the fact?

Comments

• Buster Dog BBQ
    Options
    Look at the Stoker, it can do that I believe.

http://rocksbarbque.com/
  • East Cobb Eggy
    Options
    Some of the graphs of this device are pretty awesome.

Greg
  • ViennaJack
    Options
    greenhead wrote:
    I have a GPS / heartbeat monitor that after a workout, downloads all kind of data to my computer. I can look at a bike ride, or run, and see where I did well, where I struggled, and so forth and so on.

In looking back at the few cooks that I have had so far on my egg, I thought it would be useful to have the data of the dome temp, and internal temp, in some fashion on my PC that I could look at. I know I have read about dual thermometer devices, do any of them allow you to download the data to the PC after the fact?

The Stoker and the fantastic, free Stokerlog program will allow you to capture the data real time over your home network, or with a PC connected directly to the Stoker with an Ethernet cable. It is not stored for later download though. Stokerlog graphs the progress of your cook by looking at your temperature probes and the status of the fan controller. It displays this information in the form of a graph:

YoshidaShoulder.gif
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    If all you want to do is record temps and download them, you need a data recorder and a couple of thermocouples. tjv pointed me to http://www.monarchdirect.biz/Specials.htm which has the 306 dual channel data recorder on sale for $100. It works great so far. It comes with 2 simple wire thermocouples, but you can buy all sorts of different types of thermocouple probes from places like Thermoworks. Using this recorder you can watch it live if you hook it up to a laptop or you can store and then dump the data to a PC and then graph the data or export it to a spreadsheet. (They are out of stock on the 309 4-channel recorder, BTW).

Good luck!
    The Naked Whiz