Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Pork Loin

LakeEggLakeEgg Posts: 8
edited 8:31AM in EggHead Forum
Cooking a pork loin on the Egg today for the games. I assume I should go indirect. Appoximate temp and times please?

Thanks.
·

Comments

• If you are going indirect .... remember the BGE is just like an oven. Any cookbook will give you time and temp based on the pork loin weight.
    ·
  • Thanks. I think I am wanting to smoke at low heat. Guess on time then?
    ·
  • DarnocDarnoc Posts: 2,661
    Cook at 350 indirect and it should be done in about one hour if it weighs in around 3 lbs.Pull it when the internal temp reaches 145.Hope this helps.
    ·
  • ThrRoffThrRoff Posts: 169
    For a pork loin roast, I would not recommend low and slow. The cut is farily lean and IMHO does better with high heat and a shorter cook. Try indirect around 400. Pull at 145.

loinstartsm.jpg

loindone.jpg
    ·
  • Thanks. I am going indirect at about 375. Why pull at 145 though? I thought pork was done at 160.
    ·
  • ThrRoffThrRoff Posts: 169
    I believe that 160 will give you a very well done, very dry piece of meat. 145 will give you not rare but nice and juicy. I think the old adage about under cooked pork has gone the way of old adages in the day of farmed controlled pork raising.
    ·