Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cooking 3/4 inch porterhouse, help!

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
hey Folks,[p]I've been trying to buy more of my meat from local farms lately, and I just picked up some grass fed, dry aged, organically raised porterhouse steaks, but they cut them 3/4 inch thick, they had none thicker. I usually get mine 2 inches thick or so, so that I can have more margin for error in getting a nice medium rare. [p]Is it possible to cook such thin steaks and get:[p]1. a nice crust, but still
2. medium rare[p]Anyone have any strategies that might help? Should I run the heat very high and cook very quick, 2-3 minutes a side? Should I skip the dwell? Such thin steaks tend to go from "rare" to "well done" in the blink of an eye. Any help would be appreciated![p]rick

Comments

• TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Options
    I'd sear those about 3 minutes a side and pull them off - let them rest for 5-8 minutes then slice - if they are indeed 3/4" thick that'll probably be all they need. The Thermopen will come in handy here, if you have one - thin cuts of meat are a little trickier, as you allude to. You'll want to pull them at 125, no warmer, so start checking the internal temp about a minute after the flip.

Good luck,

TRex