Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ribs indirect or direct cooking

Options
gundog
gundog Posts: 7
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Any opinion as to cooking ribs using indirect heat vs. direct heat?

Comments

• TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Options
    Most people cook ribs using an indirect setup (platesetter with drip pan). I have known of someone to do them direct on an elevated grid, but I have not tried that.

Page down - there are more discussions on ribs below too.

Good luck!

TRex
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Options
    To me it's easer to go low and slow indirect. Can be done direct for sure but a lot easer indirect esspecially starting out Egging or not wanting to baby set them. Have heard of direct for partial cook then finnishing wraped in foil.
  • BigT
    BigT Posts: 385
    Options
    I did some spares direct this week in the name of experimentation. 225-250 dome high up on a raised grid, flipping and spritzing with apple juice / cider vinegar spray. Pulled them, early after eight hours and they were not as good as my five to six hour indirect ribs.

hth

Big T
  • East Cobb Eggy
    Options
    Indirect is the best way to do ribs

Greg
  • 2EggTim
    2EggTim Posts: 170
    Options
    I like my ribs falling off the bone and tender, even though this would more than likely win you last place in a competition. Since I don't compete, I do mine indirect for about 3 hours, then I foil them for about 11/2 hours. After that, I chunk 'em on a low direct heat, until they are so tender it is a disgrace. I baste 'em with my favorite finishing sauce for about the last 30 minutes, flippin & floppin 'em every 10 minutes or so. I think ribs should be like anything else you do on the egg...make 'em like you like 'em.