Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Flip my pizza crust

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey - new guy here.. I'll be attempting a pizza for the first time tonight was was curious if I will need to flip my crust before adding toppings?? I will be cooking on a BGE pizza stone.. Any advice is appreciated!

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    sometimes i precook, sometimes i don't the pre-cook gives me superthin, crunchy thin crust (when we WANT that, i mean).

(first attempt at multi-pics)
    here it is precooking. it's a rolled crust, too, which is perfectly fine to do and doesn't toughen it.

here's the finished pizza

and here's the underside
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    hmmm. i'll try again

crustbubblerolled.jpg

lobstah.jpg

crust.jpg
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • smoking paul
    Options
    Chap,
    No need to flip the crust as it cooks through just fine.[p]Do remember to put plenty of corn meal on the stone to keep the crust from sticking. And if you use any type of lump coal for fuel the pizza tastes just like brick oven/wood fired.

• East Cobb Eggy
    Options
    Chap,

Will you be using a plate setter as well?

I would assume that you are.

First, you need to create a bit of space between the stone and the plate setter. I have not tried this as of yet, but have heard that it will keep the crust from burning. You can create this space by using the EGG feet.

Second, there is no real reason to flip the crust, unless you are looking for the crispy crust as stike mentioned. However if it were me, I would keep it simple on my first pizza.

Third, will you be purchasing or making your own dough? If so, you will need a bit of corn starch flour to keep it from sticking. Additionally, you will need to get the EGG up to 600 degrees. Personally, I have been using BGE firestarters (at least until I get a MAPP torch). Therefore to get a fire that hot with firestarters, I have to tear them up and spread them around in the lump.

Also, do not forget to "burp". When getting temps up this high, flashback can be a problem. Just take a look in the top of the dome, you will see all kinds of activity.

Hope this helps.

Have fun. Pizzas are really a good time to make on the EGG.

Greg
  • Paul,
    do you preheat the stone?

• RayJayJr,[p]I preheat mine in the conventional oven...Place the stone in a cold oven, turn it on to 500 degrees so it can come to temp slowly. Then put it on the hot egg when ready to cook. Any time I have ever put a cold stone on a hot egg, it cracks.[p]
  • ted
    ted Posts: 51
    Options
    I heat my stone in the Egg as it is getting up to temp. Remember to place an air gap 1/2" between the plate setter and the pizza stone. This will help to prevent any buring. I use parshment paper on the pizza stone with great success.

• Hammer
    Hammer Posts: 1,001
    Options
    spam! wmk please delete!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!