Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

boneless chicken thighs

fishlessman
fishlessman Posts: 32,734
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
ive got the boneless skinless thighs marinating now, how high a heat can you go with these to get some charring but not ruin them, im thinking of cooking them butterflied on a skewer. no sugar in the marinade, but there is some garlic
fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it

Comments

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    I usually cook them at 350 direct on a raised grid, but I don't see why the couldn't go hotter. They're pretty thin so won't take very long. -RP
  • fishlessman
    im kinda leaning towards 500 raised grill unless someone says no, or maybe try half of them at that temp to see. no experience cooking chicken without skin
    fukahwee maine

• AZRP
    Are you talking about doing them like thai chicken on a stick? I don't think 500 will be a problem at all. -RP
  • fishlessman
    yep, thai chicken with a chili garlic sweet dipping sauce. book i have isnt too explicit on temps but the recipes ive tried have been top notch. this recipe was for wings or whole thighs, but the boneless stuff looked better than the otherstuff in the store
    fukahwee maine

• AZRP
    Yum, sounds good, I'm thinking about picking up a pork tenderloin and doing something similar. -RP
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    I've done 'em at 400. Figured that if I went much higher, the bamboo skewers would just burn away. Don't recall exactly how long it took, but I remember my wife saying how quick dinner was. Didn't get much, if any char.

I'd suppose that if you did them at a higher temp, as long as the skewers' centers were meat covered, burning away the ends wouldn't be a problem. Or maybe soak the skewers.

gdenby
  • fishlessman
    i have some homemade stainless skewers. i have never had luck with the wooden ones, even after soaking. ill throw one on at 500 and see what happens, then turn things up or down.
    fukahwee maine

• I sometimes bone them and then fold one and stick a toothpick through it so there not so flat. I cook them on a raised grid at 375-400. There great.