Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Format Observations

Options
egret
egret Posts: 4,170
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I liked the old profiles better! You could find out the person's real name and where they were from (when they included that). That info is no longer there..... :(
Also, in the old system you could see a poster's computer info and browser, etc. That was nice.....

Comments

• Ross in Ventura
    Options
    I agree.
    My Best,
    Ross :)
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Me thinks you're just nosey! -RP
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Those name and location fields are a setting that can be toggled to private or public by the webmaster. If there was a majority or consensus that such information should be viewed by registered members, I am sure WMK would make that adjustment.

I do miss the IP info and other technical garb.
  • Ross in Ventura
    Options
    I guess Im nosry too!
    My Best,
    Ross :lol:
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    Nah, I'm just tryin' to get my karma down a bit! :woohoo:
  • lowercasebill
    Options
    Me too. i have been thinking....would it be possible to have little egg icons next to our handles that indicate if we own an egg or eggs? i think it would be interesting to know. but then i am nosey also have you checked the frapper map [andwho picked that name?]
    bill
  • Dimple's Mom
    Dimple's Mom Posts: 1,740
    Options
    I'm nosey too. I think we should ask for all that personal stuff!

Gwen
  • Double Bogey
    Options
    I too find the addition of the locations quite useful. When someone posts a picture of their egg cooking away with knee deep snow all around I always make a quick check of the profile to determine the location. Yeh, I guess I am also one of the nosey ones.
    Larry
    Larry
    Aiken, SC. and
    Fancy Gap, Va.
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    I gave stike some this morning and it disappeared almost immediately. -RP
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    I would like to see the info also.

I am also fighting the font size. Yes, I click the larger size and that changes some parts of the forum, however, for example down here in the post secton the font size has to be a .5 or 1.

I know my eyes are getting older too but this is nuts. I have to adapt a pair of binoculars with rubber bands.

Grandpas (gluing magnifiers to the screen) Grub
  • WMK
    WMK Posts: 1,747
    Options
    egret, and other interested parties,

The profiles definitely include first name, last name, and location. We'd even like to add a required zipcode field so that we could localize certain information (e.g. weather) for each logged in user.

I wasn't aware that it isn't available anywhere. We'll look into that. As far as the computer info goes, the ip address is displayed with a link to an automatic "whois" lookup, which is pretty cool IMHO. But the browser information is not currently captured. I can, however, modify this behavior if need be. It is interesting information at times for us programmer types, but it's also a bit bulky. We'll look into it.
  • WMK
    Options
    Grandpas Grub,

We are looking into making the font size controls do more than just the message text (e.g. the posting form, which I cannot read either).

Once the dust settles, we'll have more time to work on these issues.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    I realize you guys have been runnin your butt's off (not egg butts) doing this.

The change will be really nice. These rubber bands sure get caught in the hair on the back of my head. Heck I don't have much hair to spare either.

I appreciate all the work done.

My best, Kent
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    In the "classic" view I don't see anything for a "Who is" lookup...am I missing something or is this just an admin feature??? As I said before it's nice to see an IP to find out if a person is misrepresenting themselves....
  • Longknocker
    Options
    As far as I know an IP addy only tells you of a persons general location,is that right?
  • WMK
    Options
    WessB,

My mistake. I had to login as our test registered user "auser" to find out that the ip address is displayed only for administrative users; so, at the moment, egret is correct, the ip address is not publicly visible. As with other similar issues, we can look into making more information available once the dust settles.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    It is pretty easy and cheap to pick up a fake IP address

I am not sure how easy it is to detect if someone is using one of those.
  • Braddog
    Braddog Posts: 212
    Options
    I get the desire for name and location, but I can't figure for the life of me why the technical junk is relevant (And I work in a technology field) ???

Braddog
  • Hustling Hare
    Options
    While I would also sometimes find the ip info useful and fun to know, I have a security concern with its publication. My guess is my employer is only tolerant (or ignorant) of my participation in the forum but would really be concerned if one of their proxy server ip addresses were out in public. I don't know whether anyone with malice in their heart could do something with the address but I bet my employer is not interested in making it easy for anyone to have a shot. For that reason, I have been very reluctant to post on the old forum where it was visible. I believe it's not necessary for the purpose of the forum and may even deter users from posting.

On another subject, if my handle shows up black, it may be because either my browser or the forum server is confused. I see the login box to the left indicating I am not logged in and my handle is not pre-filled in the reply box confirming I am not logged in. I am unable to log in, either. I get no indication of a problem, I just don't get the "Hello Hustling Hare" box. However, my handle shows up in the list of who's online. Not sure what to do about this, restart the browser? reboot?
  • Hustling Hare
    Options
    Strange...I checked the "use my handle" box at the bottom of the guest log in and put my password in to post and when I returned to the forum, the left side showed that I am logged in. Strange.
  • Braddog
    Braddog Posts: 212
    Options
    Great post. That was kinda my point in my earlier response, but you put more meat behind the argument.

Cheers,
    Braddog