Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Learning curve ...

ILL--EGGER
ILL--EGGER Posts: 478
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Decided on our second BGE cook out we would make some pizza's. Bought pre-maid from a local "take and bake" as we didn't have a great receipe or time to play around much. Got the egg up to 475ish and held it steady there. The pizza's come on parchment paper so after reading a bit on here decided to just leave them on the paper and cook on the pizza stone on top the plate setter. One small problem, the parchment paper was to long and one corner was inbetween the felt gasket while cooking and when I opened the lid it had fried my gasket :( In the end the pizza's came out pretty good for my first attempt and a lesson learned when useing parchment paper!
So, how difficult is it to pull the old gasket and replace with a new one?
Thanks in advance,
Steve

Comments

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    Did you fry the gasket?? (smoke escapes?) thought I fried mine but still have good seal. Waiting till after superbowl cook to replace. Had LGBE for 7 years with same gasket. Do mostly lo & slow. Gasket looks good enough to eat but I'll pass & replace in Feb.
    Pat
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Steve,
    when I don't feel like making my own pizza I buy them from Nick & Willies. I just take a pair of kitchen shears and cut the excess paper off, but leave one short tab to use to hold the pizza as I pull out the peel when going on the stone. The paper will brown but not burn. As for your gasket unless you really destroyed it why not wait and see how much damage you really did.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Fried as in completely gone (top and bottom) in about a six inch long section. Definitely gonna have to pull off top and bottom gaskets and replace. It never smoked while happening or anything. Honestly never new it had happened until I opened it to pull out pizza. I'll do damage control on it tomorrow as the melted piece slid down the inside of the egg and was stuck to the wall. Not pretty but I think (hope) it will come right off.
  • Braddog
    Braddog Posts: 212
    Sorry to hear about the gasket on only your second cook.

At least the pizza turned out! :laugh:

Cheers,
    Braddog