Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Buttermilk Results....

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Okay, I asked last week about the BM vs. traditional rubs and received some good input and was asked to post my results. So here they are! [p]1:02 am Saturday morning I used exact scientific measurements to mix BM, mustard and spices (scientific meaning I guessed as I poured...) in a zip lock style bag with the first tri-tip in it.[p]Around 8:00 am after several more hours of sleep, I had cut a deep pocket into tri-tip number two and stuffed it with horseradish as suggested. I also put in some fresh crushed garlic and onion and closed the pocket with wooden skewers. A traditional rub of salt, pepper and garlic powder was then applied.[p]Sometime around 11:00 I had the fire going (dome temp of about 250) and tossed the two tips on and immediately ran inside before frost bite set in. The outside temperature on Saturday was around 10 in Omaha, BRRRR.[p]About two and a half hours later they were done (they had been flipped once during the cook). I wrapped them in foil and took them to the local pub for an unbiased review. The consensus? The buttermilk tri-tip was great. So was the horseradish tri-tip. Everyone loved them both. The biggest difference was that I had to get up in the middle of the night to prep one of them... [p]Would I try BM again? Probably. [p]Would I try horseradish again? Probably. Only next time, I think that I might toss some shrimp into the pocket as well. Seemed like that would have really rocked. [p]I will also pay a little more attention to polder next time as well. Normally I do pay close attention but with a wind chill in the minus 20 area, I wasn’t eager to run outside every few minutes. Maybe it's time for one of them thar wireless thingees.[p]I don’t know if this will benefit anyone but I had fun experimenting and wish to thank everyone who replied to my original post. [p]Matt.

Comments

• Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Options
    South O,[p]Sounds like the results were tasty, but inconclusive. Did you notice a more tender product as a result of the buttermilk? Or any other substantial differences (or buttermilk flavor in the end product)?[p]Thanks for your experiments; they are appreciated. And thanks for braving the cold in the spirit of the pursuit of great BBQ.[p]Later,
    Cornfed

• Grillin' Bill
    Options
    South O,
    I have been cooking Tri-Tips for a long time. I prefer to cook them at 400-500 degrees - searing outside then let them dwell. total cook time usuall about 20-30 minutes depending on thickness. I cook them til internal temp is 135. Then slice very thin across grain. Have not used goop but I will soon. In recipe section under Eggtoberfest 1999 is a recipe for Tri Tip that I think is pretty good. Try it modify it and cook a way. Always glad to see people cooking Tri-Tip.[p]Grillin Bill

• Cornfed,
    I just re-read my post and by golly, you're right! So let me elaborate on what I can. [p]Was there a difference on texture? Not that I could tell. Both were quite nice. Both had a real decent bark to them.[p]Was there a buttermilk taste? Not at all. I have to admit that when I was cooking them I was worried about that. The traditional rubbed tip looked like, well, a traditional tip about half way through the cook. The buttermilk tip on the other hand looked, well, like it had sat in buttermilk all night at the half way point... But by the time they were done the colors of both of them were exactly as one would expect. If I had to impart any real differences it would be that the buttermilk tip was slightly more moist. Not much but just a hair.[p]As far as braving the elements go, no problem! The War Department (a.k.a. my wife) had approved me to purchase a snow blower this winter. Being the BBQ junkie that I am I quickly talked her into allowing me to get the egg instead. A friend has had one for years and I was always jealous that he could Q and I couldn't in really cold temps, such as this weekend. Needless to say I am happy about it and so is the wife unit. I beleive that her exact words were something along the lines of "if it will stop your whining..."[p]Matt.

• South O,
    WOW, I think that maybe your wife and my wife must have gone to different schools together!

• Kelly Keefe
    Kelly Keefe Posts: 471
    Options
    Mongo from K.C. (and Matt),[p]Mine too! Those were her EXACT words. Matt, get the snow thrower, too. It makes it easier to get to the Egg. Lord knows I consider mine the third best money I ever spent. (First was the wedding rings, second was the Egg...)[p]I've been reading the buttermilk goop thread with some interest but haven't yet taken the plunge. But I'd like to throw something out for comment: I have dried, powered buttermilk which we use to whip up a quick batch of biscuits when the mood hits and the buttermilk is NOT at hand. Does anyone think that incorperating dried buttermilk into a traditional dry rub would help tenderize the meat? Just me musing out loud....[p]Kelly Keefe
    Jefferson City, MO

• Marv
    Marv Posts: 177
    Options
    South O, You are entirely weclome, as it was I that suggested the horseraddish one.
    Athough I am not sure about adding the shrimp to the pocket, as it might give the beef a fishy taste? If you do, please post. [p]Marv

• Kelly Keefe,
    I would love to go get a snow blower but I think that I would be pushing my luck a little bit, wife wise... As far as investments go, I had to sell my first motorcycle to buy the wedding rings... I aint saying that I don't love my wife but I sure do miss that bike... I have another one now but it's like they always say, "you never forget your first"...[p]As far as the dried buttermilk goes... I can honestly say that I have no idea. Go ahead and give it try. I have found that the worst that can happen is that the dogs will have new chew toy for a while. Let us know what happens so that we can learn from your trials and tribulations.[p]Matt.

• Marv,
    Although I haven't tried shrimp in a tri-tip as of yet, I have made shrimp and crab stuffed beef tenderloin filets before and they came out GREAT without a fishy taste. Either way, I will give it a try and let you know. As I think about it though, I guess that the biggest problem would be the shrimp themselves drying out, even if they had been brined. Maybe some half cooked bacon in there... Or both![p]Again, thanks for the input. I wouldn't have thought of using horseradish until you posted it.
    Matt.

• J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Options
    Grillin Bill, You made the best tri-tips that I EVER tasted! My best to you and your bride.... Julie

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    South O, Here's a winning word combo to put shoveling of snow into perspective for the wife. Next time you have a heavy snow refer to it as "widow maker weight". I have a 4.5hp single stage snow blower myself, but after the 8" of "widow maker weight" we got this weekend I've now started a quest for a 2 stage snow thrower. Naw, that's not whining - that's protecting her loved one!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • RRP,
    Hey, I'm liking that approach! I'll give it a try on the next snowstorm (hopefully it'll be next winter). Until then do you have any winning word combos for talking my wife into letting me purchase a boat...

• Kelly Keefe
    Kelly Keefe Posts: 471
    Options
    South O,[p]Wise words indeed from RRP. That was one of my arguments, too, although she hates shoveling snow as much as I do. Now as for the boat..... Best advice I have is to make sure she gets her toys, too. Maybe a "Gee, honey, you'd look terrific in a new swim suit on the deck"? Grin![p]Kelly Keefe
    Jefferson City, MO

• WudEyeDoo
    WudEyeDoo Posts: 201
    Options
    South O,
    Down here in Texas, whenever I ask a butcher if they have tri-tip I get a blank stare. "Never heard of it" is the typical response. Could it have other names that I could try with my butcher?
    Bob

• WudEyeDoo,
    Here is a link that maybe helpful. I am orignally from Bakersfield Ca and could find it in any supermarket. Then I joined the military and got stationed at Offutt AFB Ne. Spent 10 years here before I got out and had the same problems. No-one knows what it is. I have found a couple of true meat markets that carry it but thats about it. It is a good cut of meat in the same sense that a brisket is... Nice n cheap and tastes great when prepared properly. Good luck in your quest![p]Matt.

[ul][li]tri tip[/ul]
  • Ryan
    Ryan Posts: 243
    Options
    I've heard them called "Bottom Sirloin Butts". Say that to a butcher up here in Oregon and you'll probably get a blank stare. Maybe it'll work for ya down there.
  • South O,[p]You definitely want to invest in a remote thermometer. I spent Sunday afternoon on my back deck drinking wine and reading a book while my ribs cooked in our garage at 225 (we haven't moved the cooker outside yet). An occasional glance at the remote told me it was holding steady. No muss, no fuss and no jumping up and down every half hour to check the temperature.