Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Last night's experiment

ViennaJack
ViennaJack Posts: 357
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
6-7 pounds of boneless pork shoulder from Costco - first time I've tried their large shoulder cryovac pack. Injected and marinated in Yoshida gourmet sauce for 24 hours, then slow cooked at 250 deg F grid temp to 195 deg F. I did not use any rub.

It's in foil now but I snitched a taste before I wrapped it up. Initial impressions: tastes like pork with a very subtle hint of teriyaki flavor. I will probably use rub if I do this again.

ys1.jpg

ys2.jpg

YoshidaShoulder.gif

Comments

• I like that graph! :)
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    Shoulder looks great. Love the graph.

Pat
  • ChefDave
    ChefDave Posts: 142
    Great picture. Can you explain how you did the graph?

Thank you

David
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    I think it's from a Stoker...am I right, Jack?
  • Jeffersonian wrote:
    I think it's from a Stoker...am I right, Jack?

That's right! I use a Stoker for unattended cooking, and the log comes from an fantastic free application that works with the Stoker called Stokerlog.

The Stoker: http://rocksbarbque.com/

Stokerlog discussion thread: http://tvwbb.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9270072103/m/4330046694

Latest version of Stokerlog: http://la.gg/v/StokerLog42.msi
  • Jeffersonian
    Thanks for the link, Jack. I'm trying to decide between the DigiQ II and the Stoker right now, and the connectivity of the latter is pushing me that direction. It's a great resource for understanding what makes a successful (or unsuccessful) cook.

Question: Do you just plug the Ethernet into the same router as your PC? Or are you wireless?
  • Jeffersonian wrote:
    Thanks for the link, Jack. I'm trying to decide between the DigiQ II and the Stoker right now, and the connectivity of the latter is pushing me that direction. It's a great resource for understanding what makes a successful (or unsuccessful) cook.

Question: Do you just plug the Ethernet into the same router as your PC? Or are you wireless?

The location of the grill makes a wired connection kind of kludgy, so I'm using a wireless bridge. I picked up a DLink DWL-G703AP (http://www.dlink.com/products/?sec=0&pid=346), which is a miniature router that also works in "client mode" as a wireless bridge. It was $50 less than the cheapest dedicated bridge at the computer store, and I can use it as a travel router if I ever need to. It was VERY easy to set up.

I agree about the resource - having the graphs has helped me learn about the cooking characteristics of the various meats I've done, and how they respond to different temperatures.
  • Oh Boy! If I sit outside and yap will you throw me a piece of that bark.. woof, woof!! : - ),,,,,

Rascal (droolin' again!)
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Jack,

How cold was the ambient temp when you were cooking?

Have you tried yet to access the monitoring via internet, thus being able to check/control from a remote site?

I have the DigiQ2 and love it, however, I am thinking of using a Nokia Tablet device with the Stoker. The Nokia is shirt pocket size and would be a great companion for the setup.

Kent
  • Jeffersonian
    Excellent solution to bridging the gap, Jack. I appreciate this link, too.
  • How does the stoker interface into the computer??

Greg
  • Grandpas Grub wrote:
    Jack,

How cold was the ambient temp when you were cooking?

Have you tried yet to access the monitoring via internet, thus being able to check/control from a remote site?

I have the DigiQ2 and love it, however, I am thinking of using a Nokia Tablet device with the Stoker. The Nokia is shirt pocket size and would be a great companion for the setup.

Kent

It was about 35 deg F outside overnight.

My ISP blocks HTTP (Port 80) so I have a DLink router that accepts incoming connections on any port and translates them to Port 80 on my LAN, so I can connect to my Stoker from any web browser. I use the mini browser on my Blackberry to keep any eye on things when I'm not home. It's very cool! B)
  • East Cobb Eggy wrote:
    How does the stoker interface into the computer??

Greg

Hi Greg,

The Stoker uses Ethernet to interface to your home network, and if you don't have a network, you can use the Ethernet port and connect it to any computer that has an Ethernet port. In my case I use a DWL-G730AP wireless bridge to go wirelessly from the Stoker's Ethernet to my home network. Once the Stoker is on my home network, I can get to it from any computer in my house, and I can link it to the outside world so I can monitor and control if I'm not home.

The Stoker has a built in web browser for monitor and control, and there are a couple of third party applications that extend and expand its capabilities.

A little later on (when I get back home) I'll put my Stoker up online for anyone who wants to jump on and see what it looks like to access and monitor remotely. I'll post a new message when it's up.
  • The Stoker has an Ethernet port so you can connect it directly to your computer with an Ethernet cable, or through a router, or through a wireless bridge.

You can also build a cheap wireless bridge by taking a Linksys router (WRT-54 or even the newer draft-N ones) and hacking it. That will give you a very advanced wireless bridge that you can do lot of things with not to mention cover more of your home with a wireless signal.

One addional thing you can do is the Stokerlog program can send alerts as well so you can send a text message or email to your phone for some pre programmed alerts.
  • Wow, that is very cool.

So does it have a static IP address or can you have DHCP??

Greg
  • Greg,

It has both, you can configure it to use DHCP when you have it connected to a router, or give it a static IP address if you want to direct connect it to a PC.
  • Avocados
    Avocados Posts: 465
    The "Stokerlog" program was written by a guy named Amir who's day job is a product manager at Microsoft.

Antother guy recently wrote a timer based program that will allow your Stoker to email or text message the status and temperatures to your cell phone.

It also has the capability to set and change temperatures at certain intervals. He mentions doing turkeys where he wants the initial two hours at a lower temp (for better smoke penetration) and then bumps it up automatically for the rest of the cook.

That is one of the great things about the Stoker is that users can develop programs and tweak the thing for whatever you can dream up.

Also the fact that it is expandable by adding more blowers and probes.

I now use mine to control Three large eggs at once and monitor six different pieces of meat.