Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

new egg question

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
i can't get my new large egg above 600 deg. any ideas why?

Comments

• Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    You might not want to, JSG. The Egg seems susceptible to gasket-frying at high temps if not broken in first.

That said, it's likely your lump. If you have too many small pieces, particularly in the bottom of your fire box the air holes will be partially blocked, preventing your Egg from hitting thermonuclear temps.
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Take a look at my Ceramic FAQ under the problems section for some ideas:

Ceramic FAQ
    The Naked Whiz
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Are you removing the metal top, or only opening the sliding part?

Remove it all the way for top temperatures.
  • Grillin' Gary
    Options
    I had some issues with getting the egg to higher temps that I re-read the manual (dang engineers, we never read the manual) and didn't think the stir the "used" charcoal in the egg before adding new lump so the ash would fall out the bottom of the fire box.

Another issue could be the type of lump you are using. I have had good luck with Ozark Oak and currently Royal Oak. I tried 2 bags of Kingsford lump but I had fits getting that stuff to heat up. It seemed to take around 30 minutes to get it up to 450 deg...

Just my two cents worth...

Grillin; Gary