Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Melted gasket....

Options
Chris
Chris Posts: 148
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Much to my dismay, I melted my gasket....I have cleaned it very well, but yet to apply the acetone and new gasket.....should i be worried about this procedure or is it very simple?

Comments

• Braddog
    Braddog Posts: 212
    Options
    Never done one myself, but it was kinda covered in the Rutland Gasket discussion earlier today.

TNW provided some info on the process. Check out this thread:

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=390313&catid=1

Cheers,
    Braddog
  • Mike in Abita
    Options
    chris,[p]Pretty easy project. Refore putting on new gasket check the lid and base for flatness. Uneven mating surfaces may lead to fried gaskets. If there is any high spots or low spots contact your dealer or BGE HQ for guidance.
  • Chris
    Options
    Mike in Abita, thanks....when i set up the egg, i used the dollar bill test and it passed with flying colors....should i use the same type of test before gluing the new gasket?...i had a fireball about a month ago and i am thinking that is what caused the failure.....during the week i do hot cooking and on the weekend i do more smoking....this shouldnt be a problem but i am just curious if i have done something wrong...

• Mike in Abita
    Options
    chris,
    If you passed the bill test I'd think you are good to go. May want to check it every now and then, I know the dome on my XL will shift at times due to high heat. Bands are expanding and contracting on mine. Doing the bill test with no gasket will probably not be a reliable method. [p]Some have mentioned waves and high spots in their's. Just didn't want you to go through the trouble of replacing on ly to have to do it again shortly. [p]Good Luck

• Chris
    Options
    Mike in Abita, thanks....when i set up the egg, i used the dollar bill test and it passed with flying colors....should i use the same type of test before gluing the new gasket?...i had a fireball about a month ago and i am thinking that is what caused the failure.....during the week i do hot cooking and on the weekend i do more smoking....this shouldnt be a problem but i am just curious if i have done something wrong...

• Chris
    Options
    Mike in Abita,
    ...thanks...passed the drop light test in the dome....i think i will be fine....thanks mike...

• Mike in Abita
    Options
    chris,
    See Link

[ul][li]Original answer[/ul]
  • Mike in Abita
    Options
    chris,[p]Sounds like you have a good one. [p]You may want to check out our new digs. The format you are posting on now is going to change to New forum , all the posts you and I just had are over there. Others saw this and replied there which we can't see here. I monitor both sides of the fence and try to help both sides.[p]Mike