Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Suggestions for tomorrows Egg sacrifice

Options
JLOCKHART29
JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
NEW08.jpg
<p />OK I'll admit its not the best meat for the job but it was on sale and you know how wife's are so hear it is. Now what to do with it? I thought about butterflying it out and stuffing it with mushroomes, ham, pepper bacon, bread crums and swiss. I did that to some boneless chops last week and they were great. Any other suggestions? Shoot it up, spike it, jerk it, ect. Rode a little over 100 miles with wife today to get out hair cut and got rained on. Harley looks like a Hog so going to wash it and will check back. Posting from .com but will check from .net as I am a "real" member over ther thanks to WMK!

Comments

• Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Options
    Looks like you were at Food Lion also.Whatever you like.stuff it up and tie with string at one inch intervals and apply your favorite dry rub all over the outside.Let it set for a least one hour and cook indirect at 350 till it is 160 internal.I have one ready to come off in about 30 minutes.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    JLOCKHART29,[p]I like to stuff them.[p]Pork, Loin, Stuffed, Richard

[p]INGREDIENTS:
    1 3-5 Lbs Pork Loin, Butterflied
    1/4 Lb Capicola, Thinly sliced
    1/3 Cup Cottage Cheese or Ricotta
    1 Pkg Spinach, Fresh
    1/3 Cup Mozzarella, Shredded
    1/4 Cup Pignole nuts, pine nuts
    3-4 Slices Bacon, Uncooked, cut in half
    1/3 Cup Mango Chutney
    EVOO
    Rub
    1 Tbs Garlic Powder
    1 Tbs Black Pepper, Fresh ground
    1 Tbs Favorite Pork Rub
    Butcher Twine
    Time & Temp Line:
    3:45 PM 250°F DOME 68°F
    4:20 PM 275°F DOME 88°F
    4:45 PM 300°F DOME 103°F
    5:30 PM 300°F DOME 140°F

Preparation:
    1 Take the pork loin and butterfly it. Take the spinach and sauté with EVOO until limp.
    2 Lay 4-5 lengths of butcher twine on a flat surface and coat the exterior of the loin with olive oil and a rub of your choice.,
    3 Layer: capicola, spinach, cottage cheese or ricotta, pignole nuts, shredded mozzarella & mango chutney.
    4 Roll up and tie the twine, Place in a "V" rack with the open section up. Cover with bacon slices.
    Cooking
    1 Used large BGE set up indirect. 2-3 pieces apple or guava wood for smoke. Had earlier in the day cooked BB ribs @250°F so started the loin at 250°F and slowly brought it up to 300°F. Total cooking time 1 hour and 45 minutes. Let rest for 30 minutes Don't forget to remove the twine. Removed from BGE when internal temperature reached 140°F. Had a few chicken pieces so they went along for the ride. Pulled them 1 hour 15 minutes.

Servings: 6
    Preparation time: 15 minutes
    Cooking time: 1 hour and 45 minutes
    Ready in: 2 hours and 15 minutes

Recipe Type
    Main Dish, Meat

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Richard, 07/01/07[p]If I were going to be doing one from the start would get the BGE to 300-325F and the cooking time should be closer to 1- 1 1/2 hours for a loin this size.[p]07/15/07--Someone on the forum mentioned that Mr Toad started the stuffed loin many years ago. Thank you SIR!. He cut a loin into thirds horizontallly and I think I will try the sliced into thirds and pounded a bit next time.

[p]

• JLOCKHART29
    Options
    Ok Got bike washed and back checking in on .net. Looks like stuffed is in the lead. Kind of what I was thanking. No the loin was from Brookshires grocery but it was cheap. Any others ideas?
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Stuffing it is always nice. There was just a good thread on that yesterday or two days ago....someone was looking for suggestions for stuffings. Do a little digging down below if you need some idears. There were some good ones.

Or you could take the simple route and rub it and grill it. I like to cut them in half and get a nice crust all around. There are some pictures and a description of how I like to do it here:

http://www.dizzypigbbq.com/recipesPorkLoin.html

I normally don't post links to my website here on the forum, but it's the only place I know to send you to show you what I am sayin. Your favorite rub would work fine.

Oh...if you have the time, a 3 or 4 hour brine would not hurt you. Not necessary if you don't overcook, but it does ad a nice twang to the meat and helps keep it moist if you do overcook.

Hope the hog is sparkling, and good luck with the cook!
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • JLOCKHART29
    Options
    Not to worry. I have your site saved under "favorites" Thank I will just stuff it. I am kind of parshall to brine myself but the wife is not. Did some bird quarters brined couple wks. ago and I thought they were great but she didn't. The stuffed chops I did were 145 degrees internal. That sound about right for a whole loin? 140 would work for me based on the chops but she's kind of squarmish. I have cooked one to 165 b4 and while ok then and there for sure to dry as left overs. And yes the Hog is clean and happy. 60% rain and 70 degrees hear tomorrow and I'm off. Couldn't ask for a better day to cook in : DP's smoke shack and lounge"