Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

GASKET REPLCEMENT

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My large BGE is showing signs that the gaskets need replaced. This will be the first time for me to do this.Before venturing out ob my own, I would like to ask for the advice of the eggsperts on how to best accomplish this task. Thanks in advance for all your help. I do have one other question: Is it normal for the bottom gasket "to wear out" at the very back where the lid closes?
Mike

Comments

• DynaGreaseball
    Options
    Thats where mine burns first. I've replaced once, but I'll defer to some of the other forum gurus, because I used the BGE replacement gasket, but eggers are having better luck with a new gasket material from Rutland, which can be obtained from one of our friends in here, with complete instructions and materials.

Hang in there...
  • BamaEGG
    BamaEGG Posts: 170
    Options
    I had to replace mine after a month because I was stupid. I did a high temp cleaning with the platesetter legs down and the grid on top. Then I forgot about it. Bad idea. The Grid go so hot and being close to the gasket it fried.

I replaced mine with another standard BGE gasket which has worked fine for a couple of months.

Lots of folks use the Rutland after they fry the BGE gasket. I have read that you can contact BGE and get their new high temp gasket which is what I will do on the next go around.

By the way it was easy to replace.
  • DynaGreaseball
    Options
    Mike,

Here's a page on The Naked Wiz's site that should help with the new Rutland gasket kit. It refers to our friend RRP who carries this product and makes it available to anyone with a BGE.

Once you read it, just call out (sometimes known as a PING) to RRP and ask him about if you want it.

http://nakedwhiz.com/rutlandgasket/gasket.htm

good luck
  • Edemitch
    Edemitch Posts: 196
    Options
    That would be RRP
  • DynaGreaseball
    Options
    Thanks,

I sometimes get him and AZRP mixed up, so I was reluctant to mention who until you posted.

I inadvertantly thanked RRP for his spice shrimp recipe the other day. And I was about to recommend that Mike get in touch with AZRP for a Rutland gasket kit. I think I should turn in my "1" Karma until I have a little more experience in here. LOL. (I have no idea where it came from)
  • Hammer
    Hammer Posts: 1,001
    Options
    Several days ago I sent an e-mail to the Rutland Gasket company asking them to clarify their position on using the Rutland Gasket for cooking on specifically the Big Green Egg.

They did not bother to reply in e-mail form, but called me direct. They stated unequivically that the Rutland should not be used on the BGE or any cooker that is used for cooking.
    That they were aware that folks have and are using it, but that they (Rutland) advise against it!!.

So should you decide to use it, I guess it's a little like handling a rattlesnake. He won't bite you everytime; but when he does; you'll know it.

Hammer
  • Edemitch
    Options
    The only reason I remember is because I bought the Rutland from him. He's really helpful
  • Edemitch
    Options
    The only reason I remember is because I bought the Rutland from him. He's really helpful
  • DynaGreaseball
    Options
    you mean because it's asbestos?
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    no it is not asbestos - it is a tightly woven fiberglass. As for Rutland's postition what Hammer said is true as their lawyers have told them to say that. When I respond to inquires in email I CLEARLY disclose that warning - yet to date I have sold 284 kits and not for profit so whether I sell one or 1,000 makes me no difference
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • DynaGreaseball
    Options
    Seems to me that the gasket around my General Electric Oven is about the same material. If it's good enough for GE...

I wouldn't think that any fiberglass material would get into food, unless it was being subjected to a grinder or something abrasive, that would create dust from it.

Mine's not bad enough yet, but I sure plan to get one from you when the time comes. The Rutland looks like it's thick and plyable enough to seal up the un-eveness of the rim on my medium--and the built-in additional gap in the back of the egg.
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    you need to call Big Green Egg they have the new gasket that does not have fiberglass woven into it. the new gasket is almost indestructable!! i have thrown 10 bags of charcoal at it and mostly with high heat and have had no problem at all here are some photos of what it looks like.
    gasket12-18-07007.jpg

gasket12-18-07006.jpg

gasket12-18-07005.jpg
    gasket12-18-07004.jpg

gasket12-18-07001.jpg

HTH

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Hammer
    Options
    Bente,
    As I stated in an earlier post; I have been testing the Nomex gasket and adhesive from the mothership for nearly a year on a near daily basis.
    The results have been positive; no negatives to date; and some browning. The Nomex has been subjected to all sorts of tests; high temps; direct torch;side by sides with another gasket;microscopic review; etc; etc;.

Is it the end all; be all. I doubt it; however the mothership in an effort to solve the gasket issue has been making strides in this area.

So far I have been pleased with it; because I don't like to change gaskets anymore than anyone else.

Today's society is a litigous one and I for one believe the manufacturer when they say not to do something with their product.

I understand the position that Rutland's lawyers have taken. It's smart and Rutland has been truthful in telling people to not use it around food.
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    i ABSOLUTLY can not use a rutland gasket!!!! i used to work in a fiberglass plant and i know what it does when you get it on your skin. also i have a newborn child DSCN0358.jpg
    and the problem is my wife is breast feeding and i will not use something that a manufacturer is telling me not to use!

there is a reason their lawyers are saying not to use it in a food application. and as much as i dislike lawyers sometimes they are good for something!! like protecting their client from a lawsuit from people who are using their product for something it was nbot designed for!

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    If you need to, I would replace it with a Big Green Egg gasket. The BGE gaskets are safe and they work. Mine has been replaced only once in 9 years. Just follow the directions on the packet.
    If you are not getting any leaks and don't have any weird temp swings during long cooks, I'd just leave it until it wears out. There are a lot of gaskets out there that look pretty rough but are working just fine!

You may want to check how your dome is seated on the base if your gasket is wearing out faster in the back. If the dome does not seat flush all the way around, the fire and gases will eat away at any tiny opening.
    Hope this answers your question.

john
  • Hammer
    Options
    Good looking baby and future Egghead! I believe that Rutland is an honorable company, and is doing the right thing by telling folks to not use it around the preperation of food. Hell, they make the products; know what it can and doesn't do. However, some folks want to believe what they want to believe regardless.

Hammer
  • Thanks for sharing some great information! As a noob and already having to replace the gasket on my BGE I appreciate the info. One last question (at least that is my plan!), is there anything I need to know as I lay the gasket in the circular pattern on the BGE? I realize the gasket is straight and the BGE is circular but does the gasket go on pretty smoothly? I think I finally have the old gasket totally removed and have purchased some of the 3M adhesive spray as recommended by the mother ship over in Tucker.

Thanks again for all of the great info. I look forward to being a regular EggHead poster soon!