Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

12 pound picnic shoulder

ViennaJack
ViennaJack Posts: 357
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Here's a 12 pound picnic shoulder that started yesterday at 5:00 PM and ended this afternoon at 3:00 PM. I used Byron's Butt Rub that my wife gave me for Christmas, and cooked it at 235 deg F grate temp assisted by the Stoker. I cooked it to about 191 deg F internal then spritzed it with some apple juice in anticipation of pulling it at 195 internal, and after that the temp went to 186-187 and kind of stayed there. But, the bone twisted and pulled right out at 3:00 PM so I took it up then, even though I was shooting for 195 internal. I foiled it and let it rest until 5:00 PM, then pulled the meat off in big chunks before refrigeration. My wife thinks it's the best pork I've done since getting the Egg in October. The shoulder came from the Super "H" Mart (Korean grocery story) in Fairfax - the meat cutter fixed me up with exactly what I wanted.

uc13.gif