Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

TRex'd ribeyes w/Turbo Grate

Options
Mike-RR
Mike-RR Posts: 181
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So happy to go home this afternoon...it's Friday! Picked up some nice looking ribeyes and seasoned them up, cleaned out the cooker and went to town.

Here are the ribeyes prepared with olive oil, kosher salt, and black pepper:

IMG_9244.jpg

Here are some shots of the Turbo Grate installed after I cleaned out the ashes:

IMG_9245.jpg
IMG_9246.jpg

Here are the steaks being finished with their searing:
IMG_9247.jpg

Post sear:
IMG_9250.jpg

Finished product:
IMG_9252.jpg

I think it took about 10 minutes for the cooker to get up to temp, but man was it hot in a hurry! I also noticed that the charcoal burned more evenly across, instead of just burning in the middle.

Also, I was so happy to get rid of that nasty B&B lump. The cooker was loaded up with some fresh Ozark Oak, and there was not a fireworks show while getting up to temp. I'd recommend picking up a bag of this stuff if you can find it in your area.

Happy Egging!

Comments

• Bob-O
    Bob-O Posts: 211
    Options
    Nice...really nice. Thanks for sharing.
  • TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Options
    Pretty steaks - nice sear marks. I bet those suckers were goooooood!

Cheers,

TRex
  • Mike-RR
    Options
    Thanks, man! I've since adopted your method of using very little seasoning on the steaks, and I really was excited to fire up the cooker with the new grate installed. It's been busy at work, so I haven't had an opportunity to test it out until today.

Think I'll be doing some spare ribs tomorrow--I've been hooked ever since I did the first batch a few weeks back.
  • Mike-RR
    Options
    You've really got to try some steak cooked like this...here is the link:

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/trexsteak.htm

I don't order out steak since I've picked up the LBGE in October. Prior to cooking steaks on the egg, I'd cook them on a gas grill, and they were OK...just not great. Now, they're great every time I cook them.

Happy Egging!
  • Ross in Ventura
    Options
    Nice Mike, Good pictures as well. You well really enjoy the Turbo Grate I do mine.
    Ross
  • Mike-RR
    Options
    Thank you, sir! Just wanted to share some pics with the crew. The whole reason I started looking for a "different" grate was after my first overnight pork butt cooking experience--the fire just about went completely out, and the cooker was dropping temp big time! I noticed that the original cast iron grate was clogged with small pieces of lump, which were restricting the airflow. My vent settings were right on for the 250 deg dome temp, too.

I inverted the grate so that the beveled edges were facing down for my next cook after reading about that trick on the forum, and I had much better results. Noticed that the fire burned from the middle to the outside, so I started to research some stuff and ran across the info for the Turbo Grate.

Tonight's cook proved that the cooker can get up to temp very quickly with the new grate, and that the fire burns more evenly across. Going to take some notes for tomorrow's rib fest!

Have a great evening!
  • Ross in Ventura
    Options
    DSCN2205.jpg
    Ribs I really like them.
    Ross
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    Yikes! Did you polyurethane those puppies?? :P