Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hard to hold temp on My New Small

Options
aaind
aaind Posts: 235
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
going to do a test run on new egg ,set bottom vent 1/4 " top almost closed ,vent to 375 in one hr ,the bottom vent slide and screen very very loose sloppy ,Small eggers can you help
Dave

Comments

• RastaEGG
    Options
    Dave what did you use to start the EGG? I have a small EGG and don't have any issues with the temp. I use a charcoal starter with only a few coals if I want to do a low temp cook and use more coals in the CS if I want higher temps. Also what type of coal are you using?

RE
  • citychicken
    Options
    the "rails" in which the vent and screen slide may need to be "pinched" slightly if the vent and screen are too loose. take a straight screwdriver or a large putty knife and place along the top "rail" in which the vent and screen ride and lightly tap with a hammer. you may have to repeat this step along the length of the rail. remember tap lightly!

as for problems maintaining temps, i am not sure what your problem is since you appear to be lighting the egg for the first time.

check back. good luck.
    mark
  • aaind
    Options
    doing just like my large ,oh I wanted to see how long it will burn at 250 ,now the bottom is almost all the way shut ,will ck at noon how its doing ,is yours very sloppy fit on bottom vent
    Dave
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    You didn't mention whether your temperature was going up or down. But let's assume it is down and go from there.

By the way, most Small owners experienced this phenomenon when they first got their Small, especially if they were used to cooking on a Large or Medium. Not to worry, it's just a matter of getting to know your Small.

Assuming you have good lump, the ash pit and fire grate are reasonably clean and the fire box opening aligned properly, you should be able to get a good fire going.

Let it burn a bit until it settles down. Just watch to make sure the dome temp doesn't go more than about 50° above your desired cooking temperature. The heat will gradually stabilize and when you put your meat on it will likely drop a few degrees due to opening the dome as well as the cooler meat, but it will climb back up fairly quickly to the stabilized temperature and you're on your way.

If, on the other hand, the temperature keeps creeping up, you just need to tweak your settings on the bottom draft door and on the top daisy wheel.

You'll get the hang of it in time and you won't give it a second thought from then on.

I'm sure there are others with suggestions who may pop in to help.

Good Egging.

Spring "Egg Controller" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    I have noticed my bottom draft on the small needs to be more open than the same temp setting on the large. It took me a couple of low and high temp cooks to get the hang of the transition.

Gene
  • aaind
    Options
    Well I filled to top of fire ring ,used a starter cube ,my bottom draft or vent must be so sloppy its sucking air all around the rails ,a good stiff NW Iowa wind would blow it open its that sloppy of fit it is.
    Dave
  • Metalhead
    Metalhead Posts: 668
    Options
    aaind,
    I suppose your other egg is a large? tHey are worlds apart dff't....it just takes time to get used tooo...I have 2 larges and each one responds dff'tly to dff't openings in the vents...just takes time.....good luck and good egging[p]
    jAN